2

She grabbed my hands, "Okay wait, but my proposition is; will you be my hot little date for the night?"
I removed my hands from hers and stepped back. "Oh no. Not again." I groaned.
"It won't be anything like last time, I swear!" She jumped up and down.
We were referring to a party her uncle Ronnie threw once where she left me to talk to an actor she adored. I spent the night in the corner sipping on grape juice in a wine glass. Alcohol wasn't usually my thing.
"I don't even have anything nice to wear! I've gotten rid of that dress already." I whined.
"Oh you know that's not a problem. I've always got something." She winked.
I threw my head back, "And you won't leave me?"
Marissa beamed with excitement, "I promise!"
I had already known her to well enough to know she would wander off and leave me to my own devices. I was quite okay with it. It had been some time since I had done anything else but work and stay home with my cat.

I walked into my bedroom, "Marissa, I'm not sure I should wear this. My arms. Don't you think I should at least try to be a little conservative?" I worried to her.
I forgot to mention that I didn't fit in much with crowd of people that were going to be at the party. Though there was a good chance that a celebrity or two could be there, most of them were stuffy old men. My shaved hair was died bright purple, I had tattoos all over both of my arms and two nose piercings. She knew I would object dress she gave me, which was a black silk slip dress that reached just below my knees with spaghetti straps. She wore a a beautiful light pink maxi dress that was adorned with floral prints.
"It's bad enough that I have my hair all dyed," I whispered while looking into my mirror preparing to take my nose jewelry out.
"Uh-uh!" Marissa rose from the bed and stopped my hand, "Dude, who cares what those people think! You've grown so much into yourself. You should be proud."
She was right. I had looked nothing like this a year and a half ago at our last party. I had changed so much.
I lowered my hands and smiled a bit, "Alright."
She nodded, "Exactly, now let's get started on your make up."

We had arrived earlier than all the other guests to help set up.
As Ronnie opened the door and saw me, his eyes widened. "Well, I see you got a new style." He stifled a laugh. I could tell he could not take me seriously.
"Be quiet, Ron. She looks great." Marissa defended me. She flowed into the grand house that sat privately behind a large gate on a great amount of land with its own winding road.
"I'm just messing. C'mon, Sarah." I stumbled in with a silent nod that said thank you.
He wore a light blue button down shirt that looked gorgeous near his dark skin. He was a very handsome young man, which came to no surprise considering most of Marissa's family was. They almost didn't feel real to me. They were incredibly smart, talented, and stunning. I often teased her by comparing them to the Cullen family from Twilight.
When I entered, I was met with a large white marble foyer that contained a winding upward staircase. I was still as intimidated as the first time I showed up. When I walked into one of the many, I assumed, living rooms, Marissa was already setting down a bucket of ice that held champagne.
"Are we celebrating something tonight?" I asked Marissa confused.
Ron, just arriving in the room a few seconds after me, commented, "What? You didn't tell her?"
Marissa rolled her eyes, "Oh yeah, it's his birthday."
"Marissa!" I gasped.
I turned to Ronnie, "Happy birthday! I'm so sorry, if I knew I would've gotten you something." As if he could possibly need anything else.
He leaned down from his usual 6'7" resting place and embraced me. His large muscled arms and height made me feel like a child.
"Don't worry about it, thank you," He said genuinely, standing back up he resumed, "Unlike your little friend here!"
"What? I already told you this morning!" Marissa yelled.
"Okay but you didn't even tell Sarah!" He responded just as loud.
I tuned them out as they got into a playful shouting match.

The guests started pouring in around 7:30 pm. There were more people around Ronnie's age, which I didn't expect. There was, however, plenty of old men just as I suspected.
Marissa had done a well job of keeping company through night until a particular older man walked in.
I heard her quickly suck in a breathe of air and she turned to me with urgency, "Do you know ... who that is?" She questioned in a slow whisper.
"I'm afraid to say I don't." I whispered back.
She took in another breathe and let it out, "Steven fuckin' Spielberg."
"Ooohhh so that's what he looks like," I nodded.
"I've gotta go meet him. I just have to!" She said, trying her best to contain herself.
The moment I had been dreading.
Fuck this sucks, I thought to myself. But, I wasn't going to get in the way of her meeting someone that big.
"Go ahead." I gave a nod.
Before I could even blink, she was clearing the room to get to him.

I found myself going up the staircase, just to get away from it all for a while. At second floor, I had a long wide hallway that had a large bedroom at the end. In that hall was a long bench that I decided to sit on for a while. I sat my head up against the while for a few seconds before a step broke the silence. I lifted myself to look.
"I'm sorry, do you know if Ronnie's room is up here?" A young man with bouncy brown curls asked.