it'll only hurt a bit

After Louis had been cleaned up and dressed in some comfy, soft clothes, it was time to bring him to the rescue center. All of the Paynes piled into the SUV, with Harry somehow being towed along, carrying the little kitten in his arms.

"W-where we goin'?" Louis' tail was wrapped tightly around his torso for comfort, eyes darting around nervously.

Harry slipped into the car and put Louis in the seat next to him, helping the smaller boy fasten his seatbelt. "We're going to the rescue center."

"What that?"

"It's a place where they help kittens like you," Liam explained as Geoff started driving.

Louis tilted his head. He hadn't talked to anyone but Harry yet, but Liam looked warm and soft, like a puppy. Plus, Harry had said that Liam was a friend, and everything Harry said was right. "H-help Louis?"

"Mhmm." Liam's eyes widened at the kitten speaking to him, but kept calm so he wouldn't startle Louis. "They'll know how we can take care of you and make sure you're comfy."

Louis hugged his knees to his chest. "They won't h-hurt Lou?"

"Of course not!" Harry reassured him. "They're very nice people, I promise. And if they're being mean, we'll protect you, okay?"

"Pinky promise?" Louis held out his pinky finger.

"Pinky promise," Harry linked his pinky with Louis'. "It's okay, love. Don't worry, you're safe now."

When they got to the rescue center, Harry lifted Louis out of the car and held the kitten's small hand in his, following after the rest of the Paynes into the center. The receptionist gave them a warm smile and said, "Hello! What can I do for you?"

Karen cleared her throat. "Well, we found a kitten hybrid."

The receptionist perked up immediately. "A kitten hybrid? Did you bring it here?"

"Yes, we did actually." Karen turned around to look at Louis, who was hiding behind Harry's legs. Harry nudged Louis forward and the kitten eyed the receptionist with a terrified look on his face.

"Hello, little one! What's your name?" The receptionist stood up so she could lean over her desk and have a better look at the hybrid.

Louis trembled with fear, lips shut tightly. Harry knelt down next to him and placed a gentle hand on his back. "Can you tell the nice lady your name?" Louis whimpered and buried his face into Harry's chest, wanting to be comforted. "Sorry," Harry said to the receptionist apologetically. "He's really shy and timid. His name is Louis."

"It's alright, it's understandable." The receptionist moved towards the door near her desk. "Will you follow me, please?" She led them into an office and introduced them to a woman called Lola, who knew the most about kitten hybrids in the center and would be able to help Louis.

Louis sat curled up in Harry's lap, overwhelmed by the amount of new people he'd met in a day, only fully trusting Harry. Everyone else seemed really nice, too, but Harry smelled good and he was extremely comfortable. Lola asked a few questions about where they'd found Louis, what state he was in when they found him, and how he behaved. Louis paid the questions no mind, occupied with playing with the necklace that Harry wore.

"Louis seems to have an extra special relationship with Harry," Ruth told Lola. "He trusts Harry the most, but he's still a little wary around the rest of us."

"Harry is your brother?"

"He's my brother's best friend."

"Oh. Well, it is a good thing that Louis has formed a special connection with Harry, it's very helpful to make Louis feel safer and adapt to new environments if he has someone that can calm him down," Lola said, typing away.