Chapter Nine

"He's staring at you, you know," Draco muttered. He and Astoria were leaning against the back wall of the Bulstrode's ballroom.

She shook her head. "He's vile."

Draco was not at all put-out by her response. In fact, for some reason, her ever renewing disdain for the Avery boy gave him a buoyancy in his tone and mind that he couldn't quite place.

"But why do you hate him so much?"

She pursed her lips, her eyebrows furrowing as she ordered her words. "I can't tell you." She shook her head.

This was not the answer he wanted -- why couldn't she tell him? Was it something that pertained to him? Because if it was then he --

Then nothing. He was an engaged man who was being utterly ridiculous.

But still, it couldn't hurt to ask, right?

"Why can't you?"

"Because I just can't." There was a playfulness in her tone, but he could tell there was truth behind the words.

"Why?" he pressed, following her playful seriousness exactly.

A pause, in which the smile had faltered and vanished from her face. "Do you really want to know?"

"Well, yeah."

She sighed, and looked directly into his eyes. A beat. "Because, he is the type who feeds and thrives off his entitlement."

His smile fell too, listening intently as she continued. "Not only is it his jarring arrogance --" she paused, as if unsure if she should continue, but did, her words with a sternness to them as she whispered, "He, for certain, sides with those who wish the world to be rid of muggles entirely."

Draco felt his lips part in surprise.

"And I for one think his blood purist world view is disgusting."

His brows were furrowed and lips hanging much more overtly open now.

Another pause, in which he stuttered, "But, wait, Astoria, you don't -- you don't think that --"

"I think the world was a much better place when people like him weren't in charge," she said, her face soft and words hard.

He studied her, completely baffled. Never had he met anyone at these parties who disagreed with pureblood supremacy. Never had he heard someone speak about so blatantly since the Augery took control.

Her words swam about his head when his attention was abruptly snapped from her.

"Draco. . . ." Ugh, Pansy. He turned to face her, his mind still rapt by Astoria's proclamation.

"Pansy, er, that's a very. . . . nice dress," Astoria said awkwardly.

"Hm," was all Pansy responded, not looking at Astoria as she made the cooing, phony noise.

Apparently getting the hint tenfold, Astoria sighed and said, "Well, I'll, uh, see you both later," and walked away without a second glance at either of them.

Draco was staring after her. She really had a problem with Lawrence's stance on pureblood supremacy? That was not at all what Draco had expected her to say, or expected anyone to say.

Pansy wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him, and he had the inclination to push her away but thought better of it.

"Sorry that Ashley girl keeps annoying you, darling," she purred.

"Astoria," he said, his eyes narrowed slightly. Pansy knew her name was Astoria, and her purposeful mistake irritated Draco very much.

"Astoria," she said with an eye roll.

To Draco's dismay, Pansy seemed to be extra clingy the rest of the night. Though it didn't matter, because Astoria's words were buzzing about in his head like bees to a hive for hours on end.