Chapter 23 : The Calm Before the Storm

Keep in mind the following chapters will be a lot longer than usual. We're getting closer to the end, only a few left. Enjoy!

Chapter painting: Galway Quay Street Night by Bill O'Brien.

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."   - Arthur Miller

***

Who would have known that a four hour flight could be so unbearable? I was beyond thrilled to travel abroad with my friends for the first time, but Elektra's irritating voice was there haunting me during the entire trip. Before leaving the airplane, I was introduced to the entire history of the Kardashian-Jenner family tree against my will after her horrified reaction at my unawareness of their existence, alongside rumors and gossips being spread around Hollywood. "Have you been living under a rock this whole time? To think you were dating a celebrity..." - was her snarky reply, if I remember correctly.

Leo was whining about the uncomfortable seats not providing enough leg space, plus the lack of pillows and entertainment screens, disgusting food and rude flight attendants. "We should have gone to business class instead." - he muttered. The other passengers returned threatening stares, wishing to throw us out collectively with no parachutes. But at the end of the day, they were both traveling far across Europe to act as emotional supports for me and I couldn't have asked for better friends.

Our suitcases could barely fit inside the silver cab, which took us to the cheapest Airbnb apartment we could find close to the center. It was located in a narrow street with flagstone pavement with each house painted in a different color, ranging from burning red, ice blue to pure white and pale yellow, their exteriors mostly consisting of simple wooden doors and windows, with the occasional Irish flag and greenery hanging from the roof. I've learned soon enough not to be fooled by the simple exteriors as the inside of the pubs and shops displayed impressive carpentry skills and the most random decorations.

The place we booked was a bit of a setback in comparison to what we've seen so far, but considering the brief duration of our stay, anything more would've been excessive. We dropped our suitcases in a rush, sprinting immediately to the nearest restaurant as our stomachs were devouring themselves from hunger. The brewery was packed with local citizens and students laughing, drinking and playing cards. So much positive energy, hospitality and cheerfulness, no wonder Jamie claimed to be homesick all the time!

"What places should we visit tomorrow, El?" - asked Leo with his mouth full of fish and chips. They were well-informed that the invitation was dedicated solely to me, which meant a day off for them.

"There's this bridge which was featured in an old movie, I think it's called the Quiet Man Bridge. If you're up for a ride, there's also Kylemore Abbey, a huge Disney-like castle next to a lake. Jamie can show us around after the wedding, once Noah's done crying over him, that is." - she opted for a lighter meal, gulping down the remainders of her potato pancakes (boxty, the menu called them).

"He'll be lucky if I shed a tear." - I answered arrogantly to her petty remark, slurping on the delicious traditional lamb stew, questioning the certainty of my own statement. If all goes well, we'll stay friends and keep in touch every once in a while after I leave. The main problem was, things never really go according to plan when the two of us are involved.

"Do you even know when and where the wedding is taking place?" - spitted Elektra with her mouth full of food.

"Yes actually, I'm familiar with the name of the cathedral but I had to search online for the time. The place will be crawling with paparazzi." - I noted, secretly enjoying the thrill of being under the celebrity spotlight for a day.