camp counselors

The setting sun reflected off the water of the lake as I sat on the dock. My eyes slowly scanned the water continuously, watching the campers swim and mess around. Coolness floods my back as a shadow momentarily interrupts the warmth of the setting sun. I glace up at my fellow counselor, Henry, he sits beside me and hands me my Hydroflask that he had just gone and filled up.

Smiling gratefully at him, I unscrew the lid and take a sip, "Thanks H, you're a real lifesaver." Henry smiles at my exclamation and simply nods his head in response and shifts his gaze to the lake, scanning the water. After screwing back on the lid of the sunshine yellow bottle, I place it on the dock beside me and return my eyes to the kids. The sun has almost entirely dipped behind the tree covered mountains surrounding us, causing goosebumps to erupt on my exposed arms.

His head falls to my arms as he chuckles, shifting closer to me and draping and arm over my back, "how is it that you get cold so quickly?" He questions me, as his head shifts back to the water.

The side of his body pressed against mine and his strong arm on my back already send waves of heat through my body as I resist the urge to sigh in comfort. Henry's touch is so perfectly warm and content felling, "I don't know, it's lucky you're around to be my personal heater."

He drops his arm off my back, shifting away from me. "Is that all I am to you? Your personal heater, looks like I have to find a different CIT to train, my current one is mean to me." He mocks hurt, staring right at me with a smirk on his lips. Rolling my eyes I scoot closer to him, already feeling the lack of heat, and pout looking right back into his eyes.

"You can't ditch me, you're too invested in my success I've been here for nearly a month, if you trained a new counselor they wouldn't be ready by next summer." I draw out still pouting at him.

It's crazy to think that I've been at San Isabelle Camp for nearly a month, sleeping in the uncomfortable bunks, hanging out with the campers, and spending time with the very cute boy beside me. I lucked out when I was assigned to be trained by Henry, he's sweet, has a real knack for kids, and is a great person to learn from, not to mention he is also super cute. Everyone else was paired with someone of the same gender, but they ran out of other people so Henry and I happened to get paired together.

His smirk fades into a smile as he slides back over to me, "okay, okay, okay, you can siphon heat off me," he slings his arm back around my shoulders and gently pulls me back to his side. This time I can't help but sigh in content of how warm he is.

As soon as I realize what just left my mouth a dusty shade of red heats my cheeks and my eyes widen in surprise that I actually did that. I have half a mind to just slide off the deck into the lake and drown of embarrassment, but instead I just mentally pray that Henry didn't hear my vocal expression of how content I am in his arms, "please god, I know that I'm not the best at going to church or even praying in general, but if you could do me this one favor I would believe in you forever."

But god must not exist, or just not care, since surely enough, about 5 seconds later a stomach dropping chuckle comes from Henry as he glances at my side profile. I refuse to look at the amusement that I'm sure is playing on his lips right now, choosing to pretend nothing has happened and hope he moves on.

Instead I'm met with Henry's spare hand attacking my stomach, tickling me until I lose it. I meet his eyes as my laughs echo around us. I've somehow managed to end up laying on the dock with both of his hands tickling me pink, or more accurately, red. He sits at my side, hovering over me with a certain look in his eyes, one that makes my sore stomach flutter.

Henry's hands fall, one resting on my stomach, the other moves to the opposite side of my face as his eyes shift from my eyes down to my lips and back up again. He leans forward, resting more of his weigh on the arm by my head. His head becomes a mere few inches from mine, and I'm sure he can feel my breathe on his face, as I do his. My laughter stops as I glance at his red lips and see his tongue snake around them, which reminds me that my lips are probably dry too. My tongue pokes out my parted lips and wets them as my eyes return to his.