Chapter Twenty Three

The room was basking in total darkness when Ana woke up. A small light flickered from the fire on the hearth that was slowly dying, but it still gave off enough light, allowing her to see her husband's calm face, sleeping soundly beside her. She was lying on her side facing Ivan, while his arms were wrapped around her waist.

A smile spread across her face as she felt Ivan's arms possessively wrapped around her even tighter when she made a slight movement. It seemed as though, even on his sleep, Ivan was afraid to let her go.

Her body felt incredibly wonderful, and she remembered the time they had spent earlier. Damn, that was one hot love making she had. And during the aftershock of events, she just admitted to Ivan she loved him! Wow. Really, an incredible love-making made her confess her feelings for him. And she felt wonderful, for Ivan said he, too, felt the same way.

It was now so easy for her to admit and accept that she loved him. And the feeling of having someone to love was so great. Even without Tadhana playing its role upon them, it wasn't really that hard to fall for him. Granted, he was arrogant at first. But when she got to see the other side of him, that side of him who tried to make her happy by letting her see the sun for the last time, or the protective side of him who came rushing to her side to protect her from the sun, she just couldn't help herself but fall deeply for him. She smiled recalling those events. She hoped things would be better now between the two of them.

Careful as to not wake him up, she slipped out of his arms and grabbed a nightdress inside her dresser. She put it on and went back to bed. She sat beside Ivan's sleeping frame. She lifted hand to his forehead and brushed his hair off his brow. She could get used to this married life. She wondered what their children would be like. Considering that Ivan was an elf and she was from a race of vampires, what would happen to their children? She decided to push that thought away for the moment as she brushed her husband's long hair off his shoulders.

Then she heard it, loud and crystal clear. She heard blood rushing inside Ivan's veins like river gushing forth on its riverbed. That wonderful sound was like musical chimes to her ears. She saw the pulse throbbing on his neck, and she was mesmerized with the pattern of its beat. She heard every pulse in his body, suddenly knew where to locate each and every one of them.

Her teeth suddenly ached, and her gums felt itchy. Her throat began to constrict, and her hands flew to her neck, clutching it as if it could help ease the tightness she felt. Her mouth had gone dry, and she had that sudden urge to quench the thirst. Her vision blurred, but it was only for a moment until her sight came back and she was astounded as to why suddenly she saw everything clearly in the dark.

Then she smelled it, that incredibly delicious aroma that filled her nostrils. Oh God! Where was that smell coming from? She wanted to have a taste of it. She wanted to feel it on her tongue. Her thirst turned into hunger, her stomach churning, demanding to be filled.

Her heart beat quickened, pounding like a drum in her ears. Her gaze flew back to Ivan's neck, his skin looking so supple, his pulse so inviting, his veins looking so delicious...

Her teeth ached again, this time she let out an anguish cry as the pain intensified a hundred folds. Her cry woke Ivan with a startled and worried expression on his face.

"What's wrong?" he asked, his voice laced with concern.

Oh god! She wanted to... She needed to...

"Ivan..." She grabbed him by the shoulders, tried to pull him towards her at the same time tried to resist her urge. "L-leave this room... now!"

"What's going on? What's the matter?"

A searing pain shot through her body as she felt her gums swell and her teeth started to elongate until it became a pair of fangs. Her fangs throbbed, and she had the desire to sink her fangs into something to ease the ache.