Chapter 1 : All My Friends They Don't Know, What It's Like

Liam's POV

"Mr. Payne..!?" I heard a voice, which woke up the half sleepy me. But I don't wake up this easily, if it's fucking important, they'll put more effort.

"Mr. Payne !" I heard a loud women yell.

"Hmphh...." My eyes shot open and I looked up to see my assistant standing in front of me. I realised I was in my office.

"What do you want Linda ?" I asked, irritated, rubbing my eyes.

"Nothing, sir I-" she started stuttering.

"You woke me up for this ?" I whined.

"Is something wrong with you ? You don't act like this normally." She asked.

"Act like what ?"

"Like when you take the pacifier out of a baby's mouth." She rolled her eyes.

"I'm not-" I whined, but realised my tone mid-sentence. I cleared my throat.

"I am just a bit tired, that's all." I said. I ran my fingers through my hair, to fix my messed up hair.

"If you don't feel well, you should take rest at home, people will start complaining if they see you sleeping here." She said, fixing her glasses.

"I'll try. I don't remember when I dozed off. Thanks for waking me up by the way. What were you doing here anyway ?" I asked.

"You had a meeting, for which you're fifteen minutes late already now. When I called from outside and didn't get an answer, I checked if the door was locked. It wasn't, so I came in." She said.

"Okay, you can go now. Tell them I'll be there in five minutes." I said and started collecting the documents for the meeting.

I rubbed my hands on my face and. I was still feeling really sleepy.

"Amelia !" I yelled.

"Yes sir !" The intern came in quickly.

"Can you please go and make sure there's coffee at my spot in the meeting, my regular one." I said and she nodded before running outside again.

I didn't sleep well last night. I did some thinking about being single for quite a long time. I was not only single, I was lonely as hell. Like, what's even the use of doing so much work and having no one to share the success with. I'm at that age where all my high school and college friends are either getting hitched or popping out babies and here, I sit on my couch till three in the morning and watch reruns of friends, which I don't really have.

In the fast pace of success, making friends was never my priority. I have been so fucking busy with work ever since I graduated from college. It was like one day I'm free and the next day, I'm supposed to run one of the biggest companies in London, all the fun was over with the snap of a finger.

Running such a large company did have it's benefits. It gave me a big ass penthouse and a boatload of money. I always dreamt of this day ever since I was little, but now that I have it, it doesn't really feel that special. I have everything I wanted, but it's nothing I'll ever need. All I need is a social circle, which everyone expects me to have at the office, but who would wanna be friends with the boss ? Everyone's scared of upsetting me, thinking I would fire them.

I have no one to talk to except my pal Louis. He's the only one of my friends who had the balls to stick around with me ever since we were in high school. But even he can't understand what it's like to be alone. He can't understand why I can't sleep at night, why I feel like no one wants me.

He's been with his boyfriend Harry for almost ten years and I really don't like being a third wheel in their relationship. I can't help but feel envious sometimes because they found each other so young and here my single ass has been cuddling with my imaginary boyfriend since six years.