Part 1

"Ben? Please don't," Adeline whispers but he hardly seems to hear. The light from the shattered lamp is casting shadows across Ben's face and his eyes are blazing with rage. They dart around her destroyed dorm room and focus back on her. "Please don't do this."

            "Get on the ground," Bennett demands and Adeline gets to the ground with little difficulty as her knees give out at the tone of his voice. "I should've just killed you. I really should have because now I can't let you leave."

            "Ben, please. It's okay," Adeline whispers and gets to her knees. She takes his hands in hers and he stares down at her. For the briefest of seconds hope flickers in her stomach as his eyes soften. "I swear. I won't tell anyone."

            His face contorts and he grips her fingers in his hand, bending them backwards until she feels them snap. She cries out and pulls her hand away, tucking it against her stomach. She sneaks a quick glance at her hand and feels bile creep its way up her throat. Two of her fingers are broken at her middle knuckle and the pain sears through her entire arm.

            "But here's the thing, Addie. I know you. I know you will tell people. Plus, you can't hide those bruises in class," Bennett says and gestures to her face. She flinches as he does; anticipating another slap or punch. It doesn't come. He rests his hand on her shoulder and squeezes until she cringes and looks up at him. His dark hair falls over his forehead and for just a moment, Adeline remembers it was one of the things she loved about him. The way his hair fell over his forehead when he bent down. He smooths it back and her stomach flips.

            "I'm taking you away," Bennett says and his hand slides from her shoulder to her neck. His hand tightens around her throat and he lifts her to her feet. "I'm sorry, Addie. This wasn't supposed to happen. But you can't leave me. I just can't let you."

            "Ben, please don't do–" The sentence dies in her throat as he smashes her head directly into the wooden nightstand.