Part 8

"Adeline? You're safe, Adeline. You're at your father's work. You're with me, Adeline. It's okay. I've got you," the familiar voice of Miles sweeps over her. She's in his arms; not in the police officer's arms from three years ago. "You're safe, sweetheart," Miles whispers in her ear and for a split-second Adeline knows she could drown in it if she let herself. She opens her eyes and sees she is in the lobby of her father's office building. She forces herself to relax in his strong arms and leans her head back against his sturdy chest. "Deep breaths, Adeline."

            "I'm sorry," she whispers, and turns her head to look at him. Miles with his green eyes and sweet dimples and scruffy beard and thick brown hair. Miles, who she has known her entire life since he's an employee for her father. Miles, who has always been there for her, before and after Bennett. Miles is safety. Her safety.

            "You don't have to be sorry. You're safe, that's all that matters. You'll always be safe from now on," Miles tells her and hugs her gently. He rubs her arms until her breathing levels out and slowly releases her. "I didn't even think about the radio. I was just listening to the oldies when I was on my way to get you. The song – I'm so sorry."

            "It's not your fault. It's his," Adeline says bitterly. She doesn't have to specify for Miles to know who she means. It's been three years since Bennett kidnapped her and today, she's relived it all over again. Bennett taking her, Bennett locking her in the basement, Bennett abusing her for days on end, Bennett starving her, Bennett slicing her throat open, Bennett, Bennett, Bennett, Benne–

            "Adeline, Bennett is dead. You're alive and he is dead. You're safe. You'll be safe from him for the rest of your life," Miles says sternly. He takes her hand in his and gives it a gentle squeeze. Her eyes fall to their intertwined hands and she looks away from the web of scars over her own hand. "I'm sorry about the Guns N' Roses song. I'll pay more attention. I don't want you to relive this ever again."

            "Thank you for being you, Miles," Adeline says and lifts her eyes to his. His eyebrows rise and he smiles warmly at her. A smile with no hidden meanings, no anger, no malice. A smile she's loved since she's known him.

            "Of course, Adeline. Now, come on. We're supposed to be meeting your dad. I texted him and told him not to worry, we were just running late. I know you don't like them to worry about the flashbacks."

            "Thanks, Miles," Adeline whispers and takes his extended hand. He helps her to her feet and his hand slips down to her hip, guiding her down the hallway to the elevator. He presses the button and the doors open. He holds the door for her and joins her once she's inside. The door slides shut and Adeline turns to him.

            "Miles?"

            "Yes, Adeline?" He turns to face her and smiles at her. She takes his hand in hers and takes a step closer to him. She stands on her toes and stretches slightly to brush her lips against his. His free hand slips onto her hip and he pulls her close, kissing her passionately. They pull apart as the elevator dings at their floor. Miles reaches down to take her hand in his and grins at her. His smile feels like sunshine spreading through her entire body and she leans against his shoulder as peace washes over her.