Chapter 1

Cassia's POV

    Staring out over the city, I can see everything. The people down below look like mere ants from this high up. The buildings reflect the bright light of the sun, giving Crescent City a warm, cheerful glow. Too bad it's wasted on me. As I look out across the city, I think about the sense of hope I had felt when I first arrived here. I had finally escaped my coven, the place that was my living nightmare.

    The city was very different from the place where I spent my entire life. Before then, I had never left the mansion where my coven lived. Arriving here gave me such a feeling of wonderment as though there were now so many possibilities before me. However, I soon found out that I was naïve to think that I would be able to start over here. It was stupid of me to think that I'd ever be able to find happiness. I can't help but wonder, what did I do to deserve such a miserable existence?

    I fled my wretched coven, not just because I needed to stop them, but because I wanted to be free. Free from the fear and loneliness that I felt everyday. I shake my head, disgusted at my blind faith as I cross my arms over my chest, hugging myself as though trying to keep the pieces together. When will I ever feel safe? When will I find somewhere that I belong?

    When I first arrived at Crescent City, I had teleported just a little ways outside of their border before approaching on foot. I could have brought myself directly into the city, but I didn't want them to think that I was trying to sneak by them or trick them. I wanted them to give me permission to enter. I knew that would help them to trust me. At first, the Alpha had been quite intimidating. Luckily, he eventually seemed to let his guard down, if even just a tiny bit.

    His mate was different though. She had been warm and approachable from the very beginning. She made me feel comfortable and welcome. I quickly became more optimistic about the possibility of this place becoming my new home. I could finally try to make friends, get my own place, be free to walk around. Maybe I could even find someone who would actually love me. But, how wrong was I?

    My heart is aching inside my chest. It's been years since I have had a reason to be happy. You would think that finding out that I have a mate would remedy that. He is gorgeous with his deep brown eyes and hair so dark that it is almost black. His skin is slightly tanned and his muscles are firm and deliciously sculpted to perfection. He is tall with broad shoulders and a powerful aura. I was instantly drawn to him, unable to catch my breath at the mere sight of him. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to want anything to do with me.

    Since finding him, he seems to avoid me like I'm the plague. Sure, he helped to protect me when we fought against my coven, but I've barely seen him since then. As far as I know, he never visited me while I was in the hospital after the battle. The few times he's passed by me, he completely ignores me as if I'm not even there. The pain I'm feeling now is almost unbearable. It's like I've been completely hollowed out, as though I'm just the shell that remains. My limbs feel completely detached as though I'm fading into nothingness. The only reason I know that I'm still here is the overwhelming sadness and loneliness that is filling my chest.

After everything I've been through in my life, I would have never expected to be so hurt by something like this. I've always dreamed of having someone to love and someone who loves me in return. Turns out that there is someone out there that is meant to be that person for me. He's meant to be my other half, my soulmate. And he doesn't want me.

    I guess I should have expected this. Even if he would have accepted me in the beginning, I'm sure that he would have left me as soon as he knew the truth about me. I don't know if there's anyone out there who would want someone like me. I can feel my eyes start to sting as the emotions I'm feeling become too much to bear. Suddenly, something lightly touches my shoulder and I jump in surprise, startled out of my depressed thoughts.