Chapter 4

Xander's POV

"I want our mate.  We should go to our mate," my wolf whines in my head for what seems like the millionth time.  I huff and roll my eyes at him.  How am I suppose to get any work done if he continues to gripe at me?

"Would you just shut up about it already?" I growl back at him in irritation.  He has been complaining since we came across her scent outside the gym.  He instantly had started wondering why she didn't come to see us or make her presence known.  I don't know why he's so worried.  Frankly, I'm glad we didn't run into her.  Coming face to face with her at the infirmary had been awkward enough.  Especially with Kyle trying to hit on her in front of me.

My wolf sighs in my head.  "But, did you see how stunning she looked when she blushed like that?"  I run my hand through my hair in agitation.  He's right.  There's no denying how mesmerizing she was with her reddened cheeks and innocent expression.  She's always gorgeous though with her shiny black hair and brown doe eyes and curves in all the right places.  And her skin looks so soft and smooth.

I adjust in my seat, suddenly uncomfortable as my pants begin to feel too snug and my body begins to overheat.  Shit.... "See!  You want her just as much as I do!" my wolf announces smugly and I scowl.

"Shut up asshole," I respond with a grumble before finally blocking him out again.  I really need to be focusing on my work right now.  Unfortunately, he's been making it difficult to get anything done. 

Admittedly, it's not all his fault.  He's not the only one who is struggling to get our mate out of his mind.  I've been doing my best to avoid her, so seeing her face to face was quite unexpected.  The encounter has caused me to remain distracted no matter how hard I try to focus on the task at hand.  Needless to say, I haven't managed to get much done despite the fact that I've been working for several hours now.

It's not long after when there is a knock on my office door.  "Come in," I holler before Carlos pushes the door open and enters the room.

I look up at him expectantly, wondering what he wants.  "Just thought I'd offer to help for a few hours since I have a break before the next training group," he says with a shrug as he strolls over to me.

Picking up a stack of Manila folders, I hand them over to him.  "Here.  We still have a few waitress spots that need to be filled along with a bartender.  Find out if any of the packless are still looking for jobs too.  Have all of our hiring managers set up interviews for anyone that has potential," I remark before going back to my work.  I need to finish updating all of my financial reports so that Alex doesn't kill me when he comes by to audit them.

With Carlos's help, I'm finally able to be more productive.  We work in silence, each of us going through our prospective stacks of papers.  About an hour into it, Carlos freezes and his eyes glaze over for a moment.  He's clearly focused on a conversation he's having via mind-link and smirks before his eyes clear of their fog.  "Something wrong?" I ask with a cocked eyebrow.

"No.  Just my sister.  You know how she can be," he responds with a smile and shrug before leaning back in his seat on the sofa and going back to work.  I just nod before returning my focus to my own.

Suddenly, I can feel someone trying to mind-link me.  My lips purse together before I bring down the figurative wall and hear the voice of one of the guards that are currently on patrol.  "Alpha Xander, there is a witch outside the borders who is requesting your presence.  She claims that she has your mate."

Straightening in my seat, I'm instantly alert as my eyes widen in panic.  I rush out of my seat and towards the door.  Carlos, immediately realizing that something is wrong is quick to follow.  We hurry to the eastern border where the guard said she is waiting for me.  However, the more I think about it, the more I realize that something doesn't feel right.

First of all, I know that witches and warlocks have been trying to break through Cassia's protective enchantments since the battle.  They have tried multiple times a day at various spots around the border as though trying to find a weak spot.  They have been unsuccessful.  Secondly, if a witch managed to get her hands on my mate, why would she stick around for a chat?  Lastly, why would the guards I have on Cassia not inform me if she had gone missing?  Though, I guess she could have already knocked them out or killed them.  I don't think that's the case though.  If they died, I would have felt their loss through the pack link. 

With this thought, I decide to contact one of her guards.  "Noah, is Cassia okay?  Where is she?"

"Yes Alpha, she's fine.  She's in her room in the pack house.  Isa and Elena just left not too long ago," Noah replies straight-forwardly.

"And you're sure.  No one else has gone in or out?"

"Positive Alpha.  Would you like me to check on her?"

"No no.  It's fine.  I don't want you to blow your cover.  Thanks."

"No problem sir," he answers before I cut off the link with a sigh.  Okay, well at least it sounds like Cassia is fine.

"Unless the witch magically appeared in her room and abducted her..." my wolf chimes in with a threatening snarl just at the thought of that.  I scowl.  I had just managed to calm my nerves and now I'm worried again.

Finally, we pull up to the border and climb out of the SUV.  I approach the guards at the top of the wall and follow their line of sight.  Standing a few yards away is the witch.  She looks very similar to Cassia though she is taller with harder features and leaner body.  She is holding another female roughly with a knife pointed at her throat.  However, when I focus on the hostage, my breath hitches and my eyes widen in disbelief. 

The woman is someone I didn't expect to see ever again.  Her long brown hair is pulled back into a high ponytail.  Her cropped tank and skin-tight jeans are dirty and torn.  Her hands are bound with chains and her face is slightly aimed upwards as the witch is using her free hand to hold her by her hair.  Despite her current situation, her brown eyes have a glint of mischief in them.  A lazy smile spreads across her lips before she says in a sugary sweet tone, "Hey baby."

My eyes narrow at her.  What the fuck is going on?  I turn my attention to the witch.  "Why did you bring me here?  What do you want?" I demand sternly.

The witch smiles before speaking.  "As you can see Alpha Xander, I have your mate.  I merely want to request a trade.  I will turn over your mate if you hand over my sister, the witch named Cassia."

Sister?  So, that means this witch must be Andromeda.  "No deal.  We will not be turning anyone over to you.  Not now or in the future," I state gruffly.

She frowns and tilts her head.  "You would really risk the life of your mate to protect a witch that means nothing to you?" she questions in a snide tone. 

I grit my teeth at her words as my fists clench.  "As I said, no deal.  Besides, that woman is not my mate.  Not anymore." 

I know that I may be risking her life and despite everything, I do feel guilty.  However, I can't find it in me to care.  Especially if it means giving Cassia up.  This woman in front of me is the reason I no longer believe in the mate bond.  She is the reason that I can't bring myself to accept my second chance at happiness.  She is the reason that I can't trust my heart to anyone but myself.  She once broke me.  And I can't allow myself to go through that kind of hurt again.

Andromeda's lips twist into an ugly snarl at my refusal to trade.  "Fine.  Suit yourself," she remarks before taking the knife and suddenly stabbing her hostage in the stomach.  She shoves her away so that she falls to her knees in the dirt.  Andromeda immediately vanishes into thin air, leaving my former mate, Daniella bleeding out on the ground.

I feel a twinge of pain in my heart for her.  At one time, she had been the love of my life.  Seeing her hurting is hard for me, but I refuse to let her see that.  My expression remains blank as I make no move to help her up.  Instead, I turn to the two guards that are standing beside me.

"Hurry.  Grab her and take her to the infirmary," I order in an emotionless tone.  They hastily nod before scampering off to do as I bid.

Comment or vote to let me know what you think!

Thanks for reading!