Chapter 5

Sunpaw opened her eyes to find Horsepaw snuggled at her side and snoring softly. She lifted her head and stared around at the den, seeing Jaypaw and Cedarpaw curled up together. Named apprentices a quarter-moon before, the two toms did everything together and Sunpaw wondered what it would be like to have that close of a bond with her own siblings. Looking over at Bramblepaw's nest, she was surprised to find it empty, but figured she was on the dawn patrol.

Horsepaw shifted beside her, and he stretched, his eyes still closed. He yawned, his teeth catching in the early dawn light and he opened his eyes. "Is it dawn?" He asked, his voice blurred with sleep.

Sunpaw purred with amusement and nodded, rising to her paws to stretch while he woke up. She yawned and shook out her fur, feeling more energized than she had the night before when she was on the late night patrol with Jaggedfeather, Rushfeather, Cloudpaw, and Runningheart. The patrol had left them all tired, and they went straight to their nests when they returned to the camp. "Would you like something to eat before we go train?" She asked, looking at the tom as he got out of his nest.

Horsepaw shook his head, his fur sticking out and scraps of moss clung to his pelt like burrs. "I'm not hungry," he mewed, sounding more awake than he was a moment ago.

Sunpaw flicked his shoulder with her tail teasingly. "Are you sick? You're always hungry." Horsepaw made a face at her and she raised her chin. "Come on. Let's see if our mentors are awake." As they headed out of the den, Sunpaw's ears pricked at the sight of Shadenose and Jaggedfeather heading for Stonefrost's den. Her heart sank as she saw Shadenose's eyes and nose were streaming and Jaggedfeather had a distinct limp as she moved unsteadily into the cave.

"Cats are already starting to get sick," mewed Horsepaw as he came up beside Sunpaw. His eyes glittered uneasily as he watched Jaggedfeather's tail disappear into Stonefrost's den. "I heard Brightdawn has whitecough."

Sunpaw jerked her head to stare at him, shocked. "But what about her kits?" She protested. "They need their mother!" Oatkit and Rookkit were only a few moons old, and while they no longer needed Brightdawn's milk, they still needed their mother to look after them with no other queen's in the nursery.

Horsepaw didn't answer, just strode to the middle of the clearing and looked around for Applebird. When the she-cat didn't come out of the warrior's den, he shifted his paws nervously.

Sunpaw followed, anxiety and worry pricking her pelt and tugging at her heart. "Do you think she's sick too?" She whispered, looking at Horsepaw with concerned amber eyes. When the brown apprentice didn't answer right away, she took it as a sign that it was possible he thought the same thing she did. Ears drooping, Sunpaw scanned the camp, hoping to see Softwing and Applebird.

"It's okay, Lilyclaw." Sunpaw's ears twitched as he heard Rushfeather's anxious and low mew and she turned to see the two warriors with their heads close together. "Everything will be okay. If the Clan asks, just say they're mine, okay?"

Lilyclaw answered, her voice riddled with worry and fear. "B-but what about the kits' pelts?" She whispered back, her shoulders hunched and it made her look older than she was. "It might give the father away."

Rushfeather touched his muzzle to Lilyclaw's gently. "It'll be okay, I promise." He mewed. Whatever the tom said next was drowned out by a rasp.

"Are you two looking to get on a patrol?" Sorrelwhisker's voice was dry as she spoke to the two apprentices. Sunpaw's ears flicked back in alarm and she swallowed hard. Reluctantly, she nodded and Horsepaw watched the deputy with intense worry. "Very well. Join Fogwind's patrol. You're going to the WheatClan border." She jerked her head to where the gray-and-white tom as he waited with Nettlestream, Amberspots, and Cloverpelt.