Chapter 8

"By the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Eaglepaw, from this moment on, you will be known as Eaglefang. StarClan honors your courage and honor and we welcome you as a full warrior of BreezeClan." Fogwind meowed and rested his chin on the new warrior's head, and the younger cat licked his shoulder in turn.

"Eaglefang! Eaglefang! Eaglefang!" Sunpaw raised her voice to join her Clanmates in the cheers, acclaiming the new warrior joyously. She felt a prickle of concern as Fogwind watched him proudly where Fawnstar normally stood, not the Clan deputy. Currently, Fawnstar was sitting in her den, curled in her nest while she rested. Last night, Laketail had diagnosed her with whitecough and she was confined to her den, as it had developed into greencough during the night.

Bramblepaw watched the warrior with pride, her eyes glowing with pride and admiration. She looks like she's staring at a piece of fresh-kill when she hasn't eaten for moons, Sunpaw thought with a purr. She'd noticed her sister getting increasingly closer to the tom since becoming an apprentice and Sunpaw wondered if they'll be mates when Bramblepaw became a warrior.

Outside the nursery, Willowkit and her littermates let out high-pitched mewls as their Raggedfoot licked their fluffy bodies. They weren't even a quarter-moon old yet but that didn't stop Marigoldheart from taking them outside the nursery when there wasn't so much snow on the ground. In Sunpaw's opinion, leafbare was one of her favorite seasons, even if she'd only lived through one. The air would never be more fresh in any other season, and Sunpaw appreciated the snow as a plaything for the kits and younger apprentices.

Cinderface and Lionthroat padded over to their denmates and sat down, watching as Drizzlekit crawled to Cinderface's paws and mewled loudly. The elders chuckled and Raggedfoot guided his kit back to his mother with his uninjured paw.

"Get away from me!" Sunpaw whipped around at the sound of her brother's voice to see Cloudpaw blinking wide-eyed at Rockpaw as he arched his dark gray back, pelt rippling. "Go bother some other cat, just not me!" Rockpaw spat, baring his teeth at the white apprentice before stalking to join Spiderscar, Cedarpaw, and Darkfoot, who were waiting for him under a willow tree.

Cloudpaw's tail drooped and her ears lowered as she watched Rockpaw stalk away. She mumbled something to herself, too quietly for Sunpaw to hear, and trudged toward the apprentice's den. Bramblepaw left Sunpaw's side to catch up with their sister, following her into the den before vanishing inside.

What in the name of StarClan happened with them? Sunpaw thought, shocked and outraged at Rockpaw's treatment of Cloudpaw. They're kin! What's the matter with Rockpaw? Inwardly seething, Sunpaw stomped over to the medicine cat's den, feeling her chest start to flare up with pain and making breathing hurt. She barely felt it against the blood roaring in her ears and the anger spiking her pelt. How dare he tell her to bother a cat? She's his sister!

"Whoa there, hot-paws!" Laketail's voice cut through her anger as she nearly crashed into the medicine cat apprentice. She blinked and let out an apologetic grunt, her ears pinned her head with embarrassment and anger. "What's got your tail in a twist? You look like you just saw Petalsun's ears get clawed!"

"Nothing." Sunpaw growled, brushing by the tom toward her nest. Her tail lashed, grazing the stone floor as she sat in the mossy nest, glaring at her paws. If I could glare Rockpaw into submission, I would! She thought, nostrils flaring at the thought of her brother.

"Sunpaw," Laketail padded toward her, his eyes confused and worried. "What's the matter? You're never angry, what happened?" He sat down in front of her, ears twitching with curiosity.

Sunpaw looked up at him, surprised to see how serious he looked. "Do you...have littermates?" She asked, somewhat reluctant in case he lost them someway.