Part Twenty-three

Part 23

SANG:

“Be safe, little one.” Owen kisses me one last time before he leaves me in Sean’s apartment. He told me to stay put, and that one of the guys would come get me when it was safe.

Victor had heard some info from one of the wiretaps they put on the vampires that flock around the Master. I had met them, that day outside the locker rooms. There was the ringleader, Rocky, with his football friend, Jay, and his sister, Jade, who had been super rude. And the littler one, the shy one who had looked so sorry for me, Wil.

Apparently they were talking like they were planning something big, and were meeting up with the Master. I don’t know what exactly they would do, really. Vampire terrorism? Still, the boys want to catch them unawares.

I felt a little queasy when Owen told me they planned to do what they do best--hunt and kill. I told him about Wil, and how he wasn’t evil. I didn’t want any of them dead, honestly. They were just lackeys, following the Master. They probably were being mind-controlled. Owen told me they would only use force if necessary, but the way he said it didn’t give me much hope. He didn’t seem hopeful.

Truly? This Academy sounds terrible. I kind of hate them. It’s all prejudice and bias and, well, racism. I’ve had enough of that with my mother to last a lifetime or two. Obviously not all vampires are evil creatures of the night who prey on innocents. How can they just make the blanket decree to hunt and kill us? Owen’s not evil. I’m not evil.

I slide the deadbolt into locking position, just like Owen told me to. Turning back around I look around Sean’s apartment, wondering what I’ll do while I wait. Oh! The cupcakes! I have to finish frosting them and--”Ah!”

I enter the kitchen and scream, clapping my hand over my mouth in my shock at the sudden noise. Leaning over the unfrosted cupcakes, grinning up at me through hooded eyes--the Master.

“Finally!” He sighs dramatically. “I thought he’d never leave!”

I back up slowly, as if moving in molasses, I’m just so taken by surprise. I was so happy, in my blissful little Eden with Owen, and now this. Well, I just had to be thinking of evil creatures of the night. Speak of the devil and he shall appear…

I freeze when I see the Master’s eyes drop to my retreating feet, eying the scene with displeasure.

“Well. Looks like you and my brother have been having fun.” His voice is unamused.

I look down at myself and blush crimson. I’m wearing only one of Sean’s large long sleeve t-shirts that I found in his closet and put on so I wouldn’t be naked seeing Owen off for the day. And when I say I’m only wearing the t-shirt, I mean that I’m only wearing the t-shirt. And that’s very unnerving in the presence of the Master.

I must’ve mumbled something, because he cocks his head to the side and his eyes glitter. “What’s that, kitten? Squeak up.”

I shake my head back and forth. Looking at his eyes now I can’t believe I never made the familial connection to Owen before. They’re both metallic, like nothing I’ve ever seen in another person before. Sure, they’re different metals, but their sheen, their luster--it’s unique. While Owen’s are mercurial and light--liquid silver--the Master’s are darker--gunmetal and titanium.

I jerk my head back as the Master suddenly claps his hands together and stands up to his full height, towering above me. I’m so thankful he’s on the other side of the kitchen, the counter between us.

“I have good news, beautiful. But first--” Before I can process his words fully--good news?--he’s standing directly in front of me, staring down at me, his eyes intense.

I flinch as his hands slide up my arms, coming to a rest on my shoulders. He pulls me into his large body, and I cringe. It’s strange that he hasn’t even tried to use his weird foggy mind ju-ju on me. It didn’t work last time we were in the same room, but I think that was because Owen was nearby.

“I’ve missed you.” He holds me tightly against him, and leans down into the crook of my neck, inhaling deeply. When he growls, I squeak--a little “eep” noise.

“You smell like him.” He shoves me away roughly, and I stumble, falling onto my butt. I don’t try to get up, either. I scramble to pull down the long shirt to cover as much of my skin as possible.

The Master grins wickedly watching me. “You smell like him everywhere, do you know? Inside and out. Who knew you were so adventurous?”

I shake my head again and he sighs. “It’s no matter, kitten. Soon you’ll smell like me.”

What the heck does that mean? “Um…” I only manage the noise.

“Don’t you want to hear my good news?” He leans down swiftly and grabs my forearm, pulling me up and dragging me down the hall to the living room. He sits on the couch and pulls me on top of his lap.

I struggle against his iron grip and try to get off of him, but I can’t budge, he’s too strong. “Please.” I say, panting slightly from my efforts.

The Master chuckles. “Oh, pet. You have no idea how your squirming and begging is affecting me, do you?”

I freeze. “What do you want?” I decide it’s time I grow a spine and try to defend myself a bit. Or at least get the nerve to speak. He obviously doesn’t want to kill me--he’s had plenty of opportunity to hurt me.

His lips curve into a pleased smile, and his long, vicious fangs show. “You.”

The Master presses his lips to mine forcefully and I can’t shake him off. Then, before I can react, he moves his mouth from my lips to my throat, piercing me with his thick fangs. I gasp as he pulls long draws of blood from my neck, trying to fight the pheromones that start to swirl in the air. They’re nowhere near what I feel with Owen, and focusing on him helps.

Finally, when I’m actually starting to feel a little lightheaded, the Master pulls back, licking his lips seductively.

“Delicious. Now, the main event!” He makes a noise like a trumpet playing a fanfare. “Let’s break that bond.”

______________________

Alright, alright, alright! Only a few more chapters to go in the story--yikes!

Hopefully it will satisfy some, and not piss everyone else off. Any Master fans in the house? :)