CHAPTER 36: COVERT

A faint crunch behind her, Anastasia jumps, glancing back warily. Her eyes are searching for any suspect sign, but there is no one, only the inanimate forms of tall elms and large buildings standing impressively, and she is startled once again as the reason for this noise takes off in a flap of wings. 

She watches the as-skittish-as-her pigeon fly away, and then she brushes it off, trying to suppress the ridiculous shiver running down her spine.

The sun hasn't shown up today, and now, at this hour of the late afternoon, everything is appearing dark and gloomy. Though in this atmosphere, all cats are gray, and this is helping her cause, if not her assurance.

She focuses her gaze ahead again, her breath catching in her throat as her eyes rake frantically the area for the two silhouettes she has been following.

She lets a sigh of relief when she arrives at a crossroads and finally spots them. Yet it is still a hollow breath, constricted in her throat by her heart inching higher with each step, or maybe it is her knotted stomach? She isn't sure.

A few cars and people are passing by, and her fingers instinctively slid to her scale pendant, gripping it a little too tightly as she is trying her best to keep a casual pace.

After all, she is just walking out after her full day of classes; she is doing nothing wrong. At least, that's what she hopes it is looking like. The line between wrong and right is getting blurred for her these days.

She turns her attention back to her aim. The Photography Room, she realizes in front of the older building, which she has never really approached before. The silhouettes disappear inside, and she is left staring at the admittedly smaller construction, yet as intimidating, if not more, than the taller ones around.

She eyes the building as if it is some kind of gigantic monster, the closed door appearing like a mouth ready to open and swallow her, and she must be imagining things but she feels as if someone is watching her, her gaze traveling instinctively to the dark windows of the edifice.

She gulps, trying to push down whatever is forming in her throat; she can't decypher it anymore, and that's maybe why she is here: to find some clarity, or at least some answers.

The thought of turning back crosses her mind back and forth, though her feet are already advancing slowly forward, and she is nearing the faded gray door, preparing to run at any movement. 

However, she freezes when a voice startles her from behind.

"Are you lost?"

***

Nate heaves out a loud sigh, diverting his gaze from the screens in front of him and letting it wander around the small space. But inside the trunk of a van, there isn't much to look at, and everything brings him back claustrophobic feelings.

"Express delivery: two iced coffee!" Darrell storms in before Nate can be invaded by suffocating flashbacks, stretching his arms as wide as he can in the narrow space while he is bending to squeeze in his tall figure in the trunk.

Yet it seems like he is opening the space with his large grin and open arms holding two coffee cups.

"You know we're supposed to be in a covert mission?" Nate lifts an eyebrow, shaking his head.

"You know," Darrell imitates his tone. "That these are soundproof!" He thumps on one of the metallic sides before plopping down on the seat beside Nate and setting one of the cups in front of him. "Here, Grumpy Pants!"