Chapter 2

I could not stop thinking about who I was going to ask for the date on Friday. I knew I had to get the perfect guy for Savannah. Every hour of the day I analyzed every guy in the class. It wasn't until the last hour that I finally knew who it had to be.

Johnny Sheppard.

Johnny Sheppard was the type that every girl wanted. He had nice eyes and a decent smile, but girls didn't like him for his looks. Girls like Johnny because he's different. He's the only guy in our downtown, small Chicago school that was a hick. He drove an expensive truck and wore cowboy boots to school everyday. Everyone knows Johnny, because he's one of the nicest guys in our school. When he moved here his junior year he became one of the most popular guys, despite being completely different. Johnny and I were never friends, but I know he knew me. The bell to end the school day rang and my thoughts were interrupted. I jumped out of my seat and walked over to Johnny who was packing up his books.

"Hey, Johnny." I said. He looked up to me and I flashed him a big smile. He smirked at me before standing up and facing me.

"Hello, Manny. What can I do for you?" I started walking towards the door and gestured for him to follow.

"I was thinking all hour about how you haven't dated anyone in a couple years, and you, being a senior and all, should be the one to have fun. I think I have the perfect girl for you." I said as we walked down the hallways towards the senior commons.

"Manny," he started. "I don't need a girlfriend to have fun. Even if I did, then I wouldn't need your help to find one. You think I don't notice the girls drooling over me in the hallways?" I stopped walking and grabbed his arm. He turned so he was facing me.

"One date." I said plainly. "Go on a date with my friend and I'll never bother you again." He gave me a winning smile and turned around.

"Fine. You have one date." He said as he started to walk away. "Text me the details. I want to know who the lucky girl is." He turned to look at me before he entered the senior commons and gave me a wink. I smirked at him and walked back to my locker.

I can't believe it. I can't believe I got Johnny Sheppard to agree to a date with Savannah. I had this competition in the bag.

I was standing by my locker when i heard the click of heels and laughing from behind me. I turned and was face to face with Jayme.

"Manny! I heard about your competition thing with Savannah. Do you know who you're inviting?" She asked with excitement.

"Yep." I said confidently. "And he's already agreed to go."

"Oh my gosh, who is it?" She squealed with excitement. I laughed and looked down the hallway.

"It's a secret, J." I said as I looked back at her and winked. She put her back to the locker next to mine and pouted. I felt bad so I thought I'd better say something. "You'll find out soon, don't worry."

"Hey!" I heard from behind me in the hallway. I knew instantly who it was. Savannah. I smiled and turned around to be face to face with her.

"Hello to you, too." I said as I turned back to my locker and crammed all of my homework into my backpack. Shae, who was next to Savannah when they showed up at my locker, was now staying over by Jayme.

"Anyone heard from Mac today?" Savannah asked as she looked from me to the other two girls. Jayme and I shook our heads and Shae looked to the floor. Savannah noticed Shae's action and confronted her about it. "Shae?" Shae looked up at Savannah.

"I saw her at lunch." Shae said. "She wasn't upset with you guys. I think it's problems with Jesse." I looked to Savannah and she looked back at me.