X

In which a profiler and a pilot find a safe place to land.

.

"It's a serial poisoning case," Garcia explains. "And Reid, he got poisoned somehow. He's at the hospital now and they're gonna give him an antitoxin but he's still unconscious. Morgan's there now but the team really needs him back in the field and I just didn't know who else to call."

Y/N swallows past the lump in her throat and says, "Tell me where to go and I'll be there."

"Oh my god thank you thank you thank you," she sighs. "I'm sending you the address now and I'll make sure they put you on his visitor list."

When she hangs up Arthur asks, "What's wrong?"

"Reid's been poisoned," she says, and she hates the quiver in her voice. "He's at the hospital. They need someone to stay with him."

"I'll come with you," he says.

"It's okay, you don't have to."

"You shouldn't have to do this alone." Before she can argue he puts cash down on the table to cover their order and is ushering her out the door. The hospital Reid is at is mere feet away from the The Graduate and in that moment she loves that stupid tacky motel with her entire heart.

A nurse leads the two of them to the correct room, where Morgan is waiting outside. "Hey mama," he says, offering a tired smile. Then, with a polite nod to Arthur, "Captain."

"Is he okay?" she asks.

"He will be. This unsub is poisoning people using various coffee shops, and Pretty Boy here bought a cup at the most recent target this morning. They just gave him the antitoxin so he should be waking up soon. That stuff does a real number on the body though, so he'll be feeling pretty bad when he does. But I'm sure he'll be happy to see you. Just keep us posted, okay?"

"Okay," she says. Morgan heads out to find the team and she walks into the room. There are two plastic chairs so she and Arthur sit together at the side of the hospital bed where Reid currently lies. He looks a little more pale than usual, though if it weren't for the IVs and the hospital gown she would think that maybe he was just sleeping. Looking as peaceful as he did the morning she found him asleep on her couch.

"It's a dangerous job," Y/N says quietly.

"It is," Arthur agrees. This is their greatest fear each time they fly away on a case. That one of the agents they transport will wind up hurt or hospitalized or worse. That all their passengers won't come back to them safe and sound. "I've been flying these agents around for fourteen years. Agent Morgan seems to be injured the most, but when Doctor Reid is hurt it always seems to be something extreme. On more than one occasion I didn't think he would ever set foot on this plane again."

The words unnerve her. There's still so much she doesn't know about Spencer, in spite of all their conversations and meetings and stories.

"It's not easy to care for people you know will get hurt someday," he says. "But that hasn't stopped you from loving him." Y/N turns to him wide-eyed, her cheeks burning. The captain chuckles. "Please, Y/L/N, I don't need to be a profiler in order to see what's happening between the two of you."

She sighs and turns her gaze to Spencer. "I know you think I'm making a mistake."

"Not at all."

"But you kept warning me not to get close to the BAU, and I didn't listen to you at all."

"Martin and I always kept to ourselves when we flew together. We did so because the agents were not always interested in talking, and because it was difficult to become friends with people we knew were constantly in danger. One day there was a case in Boston. Six of them died. It felt like we had flown them there like lambs to the slaughter. It has always been easier for me to keep my distance and to do my job. But I can see that it's different for you."