C H A P T E R • T W O

Riley's thoughts where in a turmoil. In the back of her mind, she knew that she loved people. She loved the differences in every human character, and she loved how their sense of creativity, honour, and humour could bounce off one other and create something brilliant. But after being bombarded with questions from Jordan, Alice, and Karl, who was apparently Alice's boyfriend, she was glad to escape with a spare change of clothes from Alice to a place where she could remove her soaking wet garments, and clear her head in peace.

She understood. At least, she felt as though she did.

Jordan was understandably worried at the new presence on the island. Tom, bless his kind heart, had tried to protect the fiery haired girl from his confused alarm, but if what Jordan had said was true, they all had reason to be worried. They were dealing with a threat that was larger than life, an entity with the kind of power to tear their world in two, and when a random girl shows up on your shores with no recollection of anything beforehand, of course you are suspicious.

Karl and Alice had been less inclined to immediately suspect the girl. She was clearly afraid, and more than a little confused. But perhaps the two of them just didn't have the same experience that Jordan had.

Riley pulled on the clothes that Alice had given her, revelling in the feel of the soft cotton against her skin, before turning to look in the mirror. She was in Jordan's bathroom in his base, the base where they had all congregated to discuss the new-comer, and as such she was a little wary of lingering too long, lest she upset the fragile balance that Jordan's sanity appeared to be resting on. However she couldn't resist her curiosity any longer, and peered closer into the mirror, examining her features with some interest.

It was strange, seeing herself as if for the first time. As Tom had said, her hair did look as though it was on fire. Her skin was tanned, and her features sharp, her mouth small and determined. Her eyes were as blue as the sea, or maybe they were as green as the sea. She couldn't tell, but it reminded her of the water, lapping at her sides, and mocking her with its gentleness she couldn't escape from. At this point in time, she had bags under her eyes, and her skin was a little wrinkled from being in the water for so long. She looked as though she'd been through a hell of a lot, and she wondered if that was true.

"Riley?"

She started a little, and turned from the mirror to see Jordan had poked his head cautiously around the door. He looked a little relieved when he saw she had finished changing already.

"Sorry," Riley muttered. "I just... I didn't even remember what I looked like."

"It's okay," Jordan told her. "I just wanted to apologise to you, if I came across as rude, or..." he scratched the back of his head awkwardly, and Riley almost smiled at him. "I know it's not fair to you, but you have to understand why I couldn't trust you immediately."

"It's okay," Riley sighed, a slight smile finally gracing her lips. "Like I said, I don't remember anything. Maybe I was your enemy in the past, I wouldn't know."

"I hope not," He responded quietly. "Maybe we can ask Ianite about you."

Riley frowned once more, remembering Tom's words from earlier.

"Who is Ianite?" She asked.

Jordan had been on the point of turning to leave the room, but he turned back around, and gazed at the fiery haired girl in surprise.

"You don't know about the gods?" He wondered.

"No?" She responded weakly.

"Hmm. Now I wonder if that's because of the knock to the head, or if it's because you never knew in the first place..."

"So Ianite is a god?" Asked Riley, moving to follow him out of the room, and up the stairs.

"Goddess," Jordan clarified. "My lady is the goddess of balance, myself and Alice are both Ianitees because we follow her. We strive to preserve the equilibrium between order and chaos in this world."

Riley smiled at him a little.

"That sounds like a very noble undertaking."

"Thank you," Jordan's smile grew, as they finally rejoined the others. "Well, I guess you never know. Maybe you'll join us one day."

"Huh. Maybe." She glanced around a little shyly at Tom, Karl and Alice, the latter giving her a warm smile upon seeing her wearing her clothes.

"Maybe she'll become a Mianitee," said Karl, raising an eyebrow at Jordan. "She's barely been here five minutes, Cap, and you've already made her feel like an outsider, and then tried to recruit her."

Riley laughed quietly at the indignant expression on Jordan's face as he rose to defend himself. Karl gleefully returned his bickering, with Alice in the predicament that was likely to be a frequent one for the brunette - torn between her fellow Ianitee, and her Mianite-following boyfriend.

Tom moved to stand beside Riley, slinging an arm casually over her shoulder.

"Let's leave them to argue," he grinned. "I wanna show you something."

Jordan shrugged, but returned his smile.

"Okay."

"Wait, no, Tom," said Jordan, noticing as the two made their way to the entrance of his base. "Don't you think she's been through enough? She doesn't need to be introduced to your brand of hell. At least, not so soon."

"I have to agree with you on that one, Cap," said Karl. "I wouldn't, Tom. Not yet, anyway."

"Aw," Tom pouted. "You guys suck."

"What were you gonna show me?" Riley asked, turning to look at her blue haired companion. Tom looked rather put out, and Riley felt a little bad for him. He'd clearly been excited to show her.

"It doesn't matter," he sighed.

"You can show me later," said Riley quietly. "But..." she broke off, feeling her stomach rumble loudly, and glanced around to see if the others had heard it.

They had. Laughter filled the room, and everything was forgotten in the interest of finding Riley some food to eat. Riley couldn't help thinking that perhaps it wouldn't be so bad around here. If only she could remember who she was.

A/N: don't forget to vote for the chapter if you enjoyed <3