C H A P T E R • S I X

"What is the End?" Riley wondered, as she swung her legs to and fro from the top step of Jordan's staircase, as she waited for him to get ready.

Jordan had decided to take her to his Endermen farm to get some experience to repair her mending armour with, and the two had suddenly realised that there was an entire realm that the fiery haired girl had no idea about. Or, two entire realms.

"We have to go through the Nether to get there, since you refuse to set foot in the water," said Jordan. "The End is Ianite's realm, just as the Overworld is Mianite's realm. It is filled with Endermen, hence why we built a farm out there for experience."

"And the Nether?" Riley wondered. Jordan sighed.

"Wow, I really haven't taught you anything, have I?" He shook his head.

"The Nether is Dianite's realm, isn't it," said Riley, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Which is exactly why we shouldn't linger too long in there," said Jordan, strapping on his armour, and sheathing his sword at his side. "In the Nether, you can barely walk five paces without meeting something that wants to kill you, or set you on fire, or blow you up."

"Tom's definitely on the right team then," Riley grinned.

Jordan laughed in agreement.

"You're not wrong there. Come on, let's go."

He made his way up the stairs of his tower, with Riley following him, all the way up to the very top layer. Riley could feel it before she saw it - the portal to the Nether was a swirling, glistening purple, encased in walls of obsidian. The blonde was surprised to feel the warmth emanating from it - for such a formidable place, she had expected it to feel cold.

"It feels warm," she voiced her thoughts, as she stepped closer to the portal beside Jordan.

"It's very humid," Jordan nodded, with a grimace. "It'll be much cooler when we get to the End."

The two of them stepped up onto the obsidian platform, and immediately, Riley felt the pull of the Nether grow ten times stronger. All her senses seemed to go into overdrive as she felt the warmth swirl around her, until finally, the world stopped spinning, and they were standing in the Nether.

"Sorry," said Jordan, glancing at his companion. "I shoulda warned you that can be a pretty strange experience the first time you go through the portal."

But Riley wasn't listening. She was gazing around at the landscape in amazement. It was completely unlike anything she had ever seen before, and she was struggling to take it all in. The ground was dark red, as far as the eye could see, and fires, both blue and yellow, littered the ground here and there. Strangely coloured trees were growing off in the distance, and as she watched, she could see some odd looking creatures moving between them.

"Piglins," said Jordan, following her gaze. He handed her a gold helmet. "Here, put this on. They get grumpy if you're not wearing gold."

Riley turned to look at him in some confusion, and a smile crossed her face.

"I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not," she stated. "That is the most random thing ever."

"I'm not joking," Jordan chuckled. "Put the helmet on before they see you."

"If you say so."

She was still gazing around in awe at everything before her, and Jordan watched her curiously.

"What are you thinking?" He wondered.

"It's... strangely beautiful," said Riley, softly.

Jordan sighed, and shook his head as if in disbelief.