07. Under the Stars

The two did not venture back to Esme's place right away

 The two did not venture back to Esme's place right away. Rather, they spent the day until dusk set in the forest. They tried to keep conversation light and on happier topics. It didn't work out all the time.

As they walked the path back to Esme's place, Esme's mind was buzzing with information. There were pieces she was still missing that Thor wasn't telling her. While she could respect his privacy, there was one thing she could do to understand the full story. But, it would require a touch, and Thor's consent of course.

The thing that Esme herself only knew was her ability to see peoples' memories. It required contact of her hands to their heads in order to gain full access. It was never a power to bring up in regular conversation, so she never felt the need to say anything about it.

"I didn't see Stormbreaker with you," Esme noted casually as her home came into sight.

"It's in the truck. Unless something major happens, I don't see the point in bringing it out."

Esme remembered a time where Stormbreaker, Thor's axe that replaced his destroyed hammer, had been used as a bottle opener. That hadn't settled well with Esme, she had considered taking it away until Thor learned how to use it properly again with respect. The only problem there was that she was sure that weapon was only wielded by worthy people, following the same principle as his previous hammer. She considered herself far from it to hold such a fine weapon.

"Do you miss seeing me with the hammer?" he asked.

Esme shrugged. She glanced down at her feet as they walked. "I know you're not telling me everything, Thor. And that's okay. But..." She sighed. "There's something I must tell you."

"What is it?"

"You have your godly powers, I have a...power of my own."

Thor stopped abruptly, the cooler hit Esme at the legs. "What power?"

Esme waggled her hands. "With these to your head, I can see all the memories stored in your brain. I've never felt the need to use it, or tell anyone. It's not much of an ability, really. Nothing compared to what powers the God of Thunder has." She smiled coolly. "What I'm saying is, if you'd rather show me, if you allow me, I can see for myself what you've gone through."

Thor's mismatched eyes became wide. "That wouldn't be a good idea, Esme. What I've seen...you shouldn't."

"We've gone through a lot together, Thor."

"You said you want consent from me. I'm saying no."

"All right, I won't deny you the right," Esme said calmly. "But, should you change your mind...It doesn't hurt, but you may be a little dizzy afterwards. I usually am."