The younger brother

Here's another one I'd written a while back but didn't post here..... and I'm sure you'd enjoy it. Happy reading!

------------------------------------------------------------

The speeding taxi finally reached the hospital. It had taken forever!

I quickly opened the taxi door and got out, ran to the other side, opened the door and helped my best friend out. I put her arm around my shoulder, held her by the waist and pulled her up. I supported and guided her to the hospital as she limped as fast as she could.

The taxi driver would not ask for his money now. He would wait. He knew the urgency of the situation.

Shaila was crying in pain, her right foot bleeding profusely. I breathed heavily as I guided her inside. As soon as we entered the hospital, all heads turned in our direction. I did not have to call for assistance. The damage was clearly visible. The nurses and doctors got to their feet immediately. They took her from me to what I assume was an emergency room, shut the door and got busy.

I heaved a sigh. They would do their work. I needn't worry. I looked around, found a vacant chair and occupied it.

It had been an accident. Shaila and I had been riding through the city on my scooty and having the time of our lives until she accidentally touched the silencer of my bike with her sandaled-foot. Bare skin touched hot metal and her skin had started burning and bleeding immediately.

A taxi driver parked nearby had seen the damage, so as soon as I had stopped the bike, he had rushed over and offered help. He had been a life saver and gotten us to the hospital quickly.

That reminded me that I was yet to pay him. I got up from my seat and made my way outside to where he had parked.

After completing my task and thanking him plentifully, I returned to the hospital and was told that Shaila had been shifted to another room and would have to be kept under observation till tomorrow.

I thanked the nurse and made my way to the new room. It had become dark outside. I guess I would be spending the night with my best friend. I entered her room and she smiled at me weekly.

"Hi Sansy" she called me by the shorter version of my name, Sanskriti.

"Hi Shelly" I chuckled and made my way to her bed.

"Staying the night?" She asked me with a flirtatious smile inspite of her visible weakness.

I chuckled again. "What can I say? I can't seem to spend a moment away from your company." I said with exaggerated affection.

She laughed at that. "Hey, I'm going to fall off to sleep ha. They gave me some sleepy medicine, I think."

"Sure. Sure" I replied. "Even though the medicine isn't sleepy, you are." I told her.

She chuckled before closing her eyes and falling off to sleep.

There was a chair next to the bed and I claimed it as my own for the night. I switched off the light, took a spare pillow from Shaila's bed, put it behind my head for support and closed my eyes as well.

I woke up to the sound of someone loudly hitting something repeatedly. I opened my eyes and wondered briefly how late in the night it was.

The thumping continued. It was probably coming from the next room. How rude and inconsiderate of that person to disturb the other patients at this time of the night.

I get up from my chair and make my way outside. The corridor is dimly lit while the lights in most of the rooms are off. The light in the room to the immediate right of ours is on though. I close Shaila's door and make my way towards it.