Chapter Five 🌜 Unconventional

Sodapop's POV
A small part of me wished that I could have done better in school, that there could have been better days after mom and dad died when Darry wouldn't insist that everyone did their part. Back when it was just us, and nothing could define family besides just having each other.

Why didn't I ever come to my senses about holding another job like Darry? I was needed in my family. I am always needed, and I can't ever shake that off.

"Ah," Steve exhaled, chucking his can and sitting atop the counter. "What's your deal? You don't seem so excited to be taking out girls for once." he cocked a brow, giving a soft chuckle in my direction. "But I'm sure you probably have other things on your mind, huh?" he stared, and I stared back.

"Sure," my smile resurfaced. His eyes drew over mine.

Once in awhile, I took this job seriously. Out of everyone I knew, including greasers, there was really only one person that I didn't have to take seriously most of the time. He was in front of me.

"You're awfully quiet today." he patted my head.

"What do you want me to say?" I chuckled, browsing around the curb and setting my elbows down on the counter.

Steve flattened his hand over the surface. "Don't know. What got your goat?"

"I -- no, there's nothing." I said, laughing it off. "I think if they're giving us a job offer, we should take it." my eyes darted up, expecting a confused look, but the reality wasn't quite that. "O-or me, I mean -- I think I should take the job."

"You don't need to do it." Steve gave a faint smile. "But you'd be an idiot not to."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I jerked my head to the side.

"Well, it's good for a resume, for experience -- whatever you wanna call it. Sometimes it feels a little overwhelming and all but... It's not to judge you but to get an idea of what you can do." he gave a look as if he forgot something, then shrugged, forcing a small laugh. "I mean -- you obviously want to get the job, right? So do good things, and show that you are...smart and whatnot. 'Kay?"

"Okay then." a chuckle escaped out of me as I began hoisting myself up to sit next to him. The sky was like a pale rose, and the sun was casting shadows all over.

"Man...that sunset." Carefully, I drew my eyes over Steve, watching the light splash over his face. Maybe this was how the end of the day was supposed to be.

"That's Pony's line." Steve laughed half-heartedly. "Or is it just a Midwest thing?"

"It's just a sunset. Can't be anybody's thing." I said, nudging his shoulder.

He sighed, "Yeah, I'm not really a hippie like your brother."

Knowing him, I laughed through my nostril. "You like The Beatles."

"They're happy. That doesn't mean nothing." Steve asserted. "It's music, not a religion."

The only way I knew was through with Steve, but one could tell he was just messing. Besides, I'd always find myself bickering with him one minute and letting him drive my car the next. "I don't dig sunsets the way Pony does but I do look at them since I...can't always find something else to look at."

Steve wasn't always one to smile during bickering, but when he did, it was because there was something else on his mind. "I can find something else to look at." he flashed a small grin, growing dimples.