Slytherin

I took shaky steps towards the doors of the great hall with Professor McGonagall. She glanced at me as if to ask if I was ready. I smiled and took a deep breath. McGonagall pushed the doors open, sorting hat in hand, and I trailed behind, interrupting dinner. 

Suddenly all eyes were on me, mostly boys. I stood out in my muggle clothes but I liked it that way. For the first time in as long as I could remember I enjoyed the attention and I truly did not care who it was from and if it was good or bad. I was loving this newfound confidence, it made me smile, upping my appearance even more. I didn't know what about me was so captivating, there was not a moment where at least ten boys weren't looking at me. Was it the way I walked and held myself, my clothes, my facial features, my hair, or simply the crystal I wore around my neck to boost feminine energy? I honestly couldn't tell but this fresh start was amazing regardless. It felt like the slomo entrance of the love interest in a rom-com. It. was. heaven. One of the Hufflepuff boys were lucky enough to catch my eye, sandy-haired and rosy-cheeked, a cutie. 

I walked up to greet Dumbledore with a smile and a handshake, I felt like I already knew him considering we were always communicating through Hermione or Professor McGonagall. I turned to face the entire school only then realizing how many people were staring at me. My stomach dropped out of my ass from anxiety so I locked my gaze on Granger for a sense of security. I guessed Hermione had already told her friends about me because the boys she sat with smiled at me like I already knew them, of course, I smiled back.

"Good evening students, as a select few of you know we are performing a test this year. Miss Y/N Y/L/N will be helping us out," I waved to the crowd and giggled at the mention of my name. I was trying to seem as approachable as possible. "Y/N is a new student at Hogwarts and she will be entering third year...this semester," he clearly caused a stir as I began to hear whispers, I wondered if it was controversial for me to be enrolling in the middle of the year. I shook it off and faced forward as Dumbledore concluded his explanation. Professor McGonagall ushered me over to a stool and I sat. She placed the sorting hat on my head and it spoke out immediately, making me jump a little in my seat. 

"hmm. Loyal like a Hufflepuff..." I looked at the sandy-haired boy and he smiled, so did I. "Brave like a Gryffindor. I see," I glanced at Hermione and her friends their faces filled with anticipation. "And very creative like a Ravenclaw. But overall extremely ambitious...SLYTHERIN!" I hopped up from my seat thanking Professor McGonagall and giving her a quick hug as she handed me Slytherin robes. My green shirt turned out to be very fitting. I turned to smile at Hermione but she looked defeated, sad. I noticed that every house except Slytherin had begun to send me dirty looks and whispers.

I mouthed "What's wrong?" but she only shrugged and turned around. I kept walking and saw that I would really have to push my way into this house. I made eye contact with a brunette girl, her hair was very short with bangs in the front. 

I confidently walked over to where she was seated and said "Hello!" everyone nearby looked at me like I had three heads to which I replied with "What is it?" the girl scooted over and patted the spot next to her with her hand inviting me to sit. I saw right through the petty smile on her face, something was bothering her, was it me? I decided to remain cautious and waited for the people around me to say something. 

"Where are you from, uh Y/N" a darker-skinned boy spoke to me. I was finally able to connect the dots.

"Ohhh okay, I'm from America," I said with a smile.

"That would explain the stupid accent," another boy with platinum blonde hair teased.

"Yeah, thanks." I snapped back narrowing my eyes challenging him to continue.

"You smile too much to be in Slytherin," his stone-cold eyes met mine, accepting the challenge.

"We'll see about that," I put an end to whatever he was trying to start.

"I'm Draco, this is Blaise and that's Pansy." he pointed around the table at his friends.

"Pleasure," I said.