2 - Drinking Songs and Dark Marks

The Irish had won the Quidditch World Cup 170 to 160, and it appeared that they wanted the entire world to know it. Fans rejoiced late into the night, passing around bottles of alcohol, dancing jigs, and singing drinking songs. Anyone was welcome to join them in their celebration, so this was how Pippa and Cedric ended up sitting on a log near a campfire, happily watching a few tipsy Irishmen lead the group in pub tunes native to their victorious homeland. Amos was off talking to some Ministry officials, most likely exchanging winnings on the outcome of the match. From what Pippa heard, her uncle would be going home with more Galleons than he came with.

"As I was a-goin' over the far famed Kerry mountains, I met with Captain Farrell and his money he was counting. I first produced my pistol and I then produced my rapier, saying, 'Stand and deliver" for he were a bold deceiver-'"

Pippa grinned and clapped along with the lively melody, thoroughly enjoying the music. One man even played a fiddle to accompany them. It reminded her of jam nights in the Hufflepuff common room. She couldn't wait for those to start up again.

"Mush-a ring dumb-a do dumb-a da. Wack fall the daddy-o, wack fall the daddy-o!" The men pointed to the crowd and cued them in.

"There's whiskey in the jar!" Pippa and Cedric yelled in unison chorus, raising their mugs filled with cocoa instead of whiskey or beer. They both had already used magic to check for alcohol in their beverages, as neither had any desire to engage in underage drinking.

"This is so fun!" Pippa exclaimed, her eyes shining as she turned to Cedric. "Why can't all nights be like this?"

He smiled and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. "If you play life right, they are."

A fireball shot straight into the night sky, effectively shutting up everyone, even the drunken men leading the song. For a moment, no one spoke, thinking that the magic was perhaps the work of another tipsy celebrator.

Then the screaming began.

What happened next happened so quickly that Pippa barely registered anything happening at all. She felt Cedric grab her hand, yank her up from the log, and start to drag her through the panicked crowds.

"What's going on?" She asked worriedly.

He glanced back at her and yelled, "No idea, but stay close!"

Voices around her began to answer her question instead.

"It's the Death Eaters!"

"Run!"

"They've got the Muggles!"

"Get out of here!"

Pippa felt her blood run cold and hurried to keep up with Cedric. Someone shoved into her in their haste to escape, pushing her away from her cousin and back into the mob.

"Cedric!" She screamed, popping up from the ground instantly as she tried to fight her way through the throng. It was impossible. Tents flared up in flames all around her and people moved in every single direction. "Cedric!"

"Pippa!" She could hear him yelling for her, but he too had gotten stuck in the crowd and neither could locate the other. "Pip, where are you?"