3 - The Hufflepuff Girls

"-And do take care of yourself, Phillipa dear," Mary Wilson said anxiously, straightening her daughter's coat for what felt like the hundredth time. "You packed everything, right?"

"Of course I did, Mum," Pippa said with a patient smile. "I triple-checked my packing list and your packing list."

Mary laughed as her husband, Mike, wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "You know me too well."

"She's only known you for fourteen years, A.K.A. her entire life," he joked. "Write to us, kiddo. We'll miss you."

Pippa hugged both of her parents. "I will. Love you guys."

"Get going, or you'll miss the train," Mary said, patting her daughter on the cheek.

Smiling, Pippa picked up her trunk and walked towards the Hogwarts Express. She saw Cedric in the crowd and opened her mouth to yell hello, but when she saw him leaning against a column and chatting with Cho Chang, she boarded the train, intending to catch up with him later when he was less... preoccupied.

A little firework whizzed past her head as she moved through the hall of the train, coming to a stop at her usual compartment. It only contained one occupant, who was busy scribbling like a madwoman into a notebook. She held up a finger as if to say shush a minute. Grinning to herself, Pippa stowed her trunk in the shelves above and took the seat across from her, used to this kind of behavior from her friend.

The girl's straight, almost-black hair was pulled into a loose side ponytail. She had dark skin and a sharp jawline, and her coffee-colored eyes could see through anything and anyone. With her fitted black Grateful Dead shirt and ripped skinny jeans, no one ever expected Dove Austen to be a Hufflepuff, instead assuming that she belonged to Slytherin House. Their shocked faces always made her laugh.

After a minute or two of silence, Dove looked up and offered her friend a sarcastic half-wave. "Greetings, dork. How was the Cup? Eventful, obviously. Did you manage that okay?" Behind the humor, Pippa saw genuine concern in her friend's eyes.

"Yeah. It was a little scary, but I got over it. Thanks for asking. How was your summer?"

"It was okay," she replied, kicking up her legs to take up the whole seat like she had no care in the world. "Zach and I broke up, I dunno if I told you."

"What?" Pippa exclaimed, floored. The two had started going out at the end of last year, and they seemed happy together. She wasn't exactly surprised that she hadn't heard the news, though. While Dove loved to write poetry, she was terrible at writing letters. "Why?"

She shrugged. "He was a dirty cheat. It took me about two hours, a new notebook and quill, and seven s'mores to get over him. Don't worry about me."

"Will I be allowed to read this notebook?" Pippa loved reading Dove's poetry. She often wished she had the skills to manipulate words like that.

"Nope. It contained some very mean poems, so I used it as kindling and roasted marshmallows. You know, burn the feelings."

Pippa held up a hand for a high-five, and Dove slapped it. "Nice."

The door slid open again, revealing Lynn, who smiled and sat next to Pippa.

"Anyone want something to eat?" She asked, digging through her bag for a container. "I was up late last night baking."

"I don't know why you even ask anymore." Pippa said with a grin. "What did you make this time?"

"Strawberry macarons. I perfected the recipe in Paris," she said proudly, unveiling the pretty pink sandwich cookies. "Even so, it took me three batches to get them just right. I went to bed at four last night. The hard work paid off, though. They're really good!"