xxvi. a party

Karlie's P.O.V.

"Happy Adoption Klosses!!!" A crowd of people scream as we walk into Cara's Upper East Side townhouse. The whole place is covered in rainbow streamers and balloons. Cara really went all out for this. She had always been their Aunty Cara and now she was also their official aunt. She insisted though that she'd never turn up in a church, so it was really like she was their fun-aunty-godmother fairy. All that matters is that she loves them and they love her. The twins' faces light up as they take in the room. Some of their old friends and some from school in Rhode Island are here as are all of their honorary aunts and uncles; Cara and Ash, Luke and Martha, Selena and even Tree has been invited. I smile at the redhead as she walks over to me, the twins holding onto my hands tight as they take in the scene. I let go and they dash off. Tree looks at me unsure, we haven't physically seen each other in over a year despite talking a lot. She sizes me up, nervous but a glint in her eye.

"Hi, Tree! How are you?! It's so great to see you." I smile widely, telling her it's okay, I'm still me. It's a relief when she breaks out in a smile too.

"It's good to see you, Karlie. I've missed you. You look... really good." She wraps me in a hug, and I relax into it. I wonder if Taylor knows she's here. Tree and I've been emailing for a couple of months now, ever since she found out that I was the secret admirer sending Taylor flowers every month. I don't why I did it. Mainly to make myself feel better. My therapist thought it was my way of keeping my distance but also looking after her because I wasn't ready to let go. She was right about the last part; I would never be ready to fully let go.

"We missed you, Tree." I say, stroking her back as we pull apart. I survey the scene in Cara's townhouse. It's alive with so many people, lots milling around waiting no doubt to talk to me.

"How are the kids?" She smiles, scanning the room before she sees them hugging their Aunty Cara near the kitchen.

"They're amazing," I sigh, relieved as I watch them play with Cara and Ash. All smiles. It had taken a long time for them to smile like that again, months. I look at Tree, not knowing how much she already knows. "How are you?"

"Karlie, we both know that's not the question you want to ask me..." She says, grinning knowingly at me. I take a breath and then ask.

"How is she? Really?" I watch Tree's face.

"She's the same. Stubborn and stupidly committed to work, but less so after Andrea's scare. She... really misses you, and the twins." Tree's expression is layered, and I know that there's a lot unsaid. I always made sure Tree was sworn to secrecy. I didn't want Taylor thinking I was spying on her or that she didn't matter enough to reach out to. It was the opposite. She mattered too much to reach out to. The twins rush over, telling me Aunty Cara has a pile of presents for them to open and asking me to help them. I'm totally unsurprised Cara's gone all out on every front, presents included.

"Say hello to Tree, you guys, you remember her, right?" The twins nod, clearly not as shy as with Selena a few days ago. They remember Tree, plus they've emailed with her a few times.

"Hi Miss Tree! Is Taylor here too?" Archie asks sweetly, I can tell he wants her to be here too. Me too, buddy, I think as I rub my hands through his hair casually. Tree looks at me unsure and I shoot her a smile. She can say whatever she likes.

"Hello Archie, and no sweetie, she's not. I'll tell her you say hi though." Both twins deflate a little, as do I, but I plaster a fake smile on to cover it. Today was a happy day. We were a family. Us three. For now, that was enough.

"Where are these gifts, kiddos? I want to see if Aunty Cara finally bought me the car I've wanted forever!" I joke, letting them lead me toward the kitchen where indeed there is a large mountain of wrapped gifts waiting. Oh boy.