Edge of the Cliff

Pulling the reins of the horse halted it from proceeding any further when he was just a few meters away from Bai Yu Yan. She was standing there, looking at him with an almost unbelievable face as she saw him drawing near.

The frost in his eyes that had been frozen since the last day slowly thawed upon seeing the sight of her. It wasn't difficult to understand why she was standing there with such a desolate expression on her face. Her lonely figure in the middle of the road pinched his heart but a strange pleasure crept in his chest knowing that she did care after all.

Lu Tong Xiao hid the small smile inching his face and swung his leg to descend to the ground.

The guards who had informed Bai Yu Yan of Lu Tong Xiao's departure couldn't maintain a stoic face anymore seeing him getting down the horse. They wondered if he forgot to take something.

One sharp look from Lu Tong Xiao and the guards immediately dropped their gaze, keeping their eyes strictly trained on the ground.

Before Bai Yu Yan's mind could register what was happening, she was pulled into a tight embrace, her face resting against a firm chest. Blood rushed into her brain as she reflexively raised her hands that reached its way around his strong back. Her hands tightly clutched the robe on his back. The familiar smell of sandalwood and ink soothingly enveloped her as if it was the only balm to her scorching heart.

The only sound she could hear was the fiercely pounding heart which she couldn't tell whom it belonged to, her or Lu Tong Xiao. But there was one thing she could tell, that she did not regret any of it. Neither having met this man in her life nor her stupid action of holding him right now even after knowing what tomorrow would bring.

Lu Tong Xiao had his face buried in her hair as he deeply inhaled her sweet intoxicating smell, one that he could never get enough of. His foolish act of turning the horse around long after it had crossed the outskirts of the capital had not only startled Xuyi and his other guards who were in his company but also himself who didn't know what he was doing.

There was no way he could go. Not until he had seen her.

As a reserved man who had always worked with reason, it was probably the first time he had acted on impulse. So strong that he could not control it, not that he would want to.

Releasing his tight hold on her, Lu Tong Xiao let go of his hands around her small body that could easily fit inside his frame and cupped her cheeks on both sides so that he could get a better view of her face. The one that he had missed since the night before. Unlike how she was avoiding his eyes yesterday, she was properly looking at him now with her hands still around his torso.

He lowered his head to gently peck her small nose, his lips lingering on her skin.

"Missed me?" he asked in a low voice as his thumb gently stroked her smooth cheek.

His voice sent tingles down her spine which was purposely asking her the question with double meaning. Bai Yu Yan struggled to hold onto the last of her reason and responded, "You're here...they said you were gone."

The blowing wind played with her hair, gently sweeping it across the frame of her face. Lu Tong Xiao's long fingers naturally tucked it behind her ear so that nothing obstructed him from looking at her closely.

Although he didn't get the answer to his question, he was quite satisfied with her response that sounded almost like a complaint. Amusement danced in his eyes seeing how the woman who hadn't come to see him off just an hour ago was now grumbling that he was gone.

He hummed in a deep voice and his chest reverberated with every word he spoke, "I was. And you didn't even come to see me," his warm breath fanned against her face.