xii. unexpected revelations

THE AMAZONS confiscated the quartet's weapons and marched them down so many flights of stairs, Camilla lost count. 

The entire journey down, Camilla's head was spinning. Camilla Warren. She was positive she'd never been to the Amazons' territory, or even the state of Washington, so how did Kinzie know her? Was Warren really her last name? She'd never had a last name—the only thing that had been with her when she was left at a firehouse at just a few days old was a sticky note with her first name on it. 

Part of her thought Kinzie might have been lying, or trying to confuse Camilla before the rest of the Amazons attacked. But another part of her felt like she wasn't lying. Somehow... somehow the Amazons had been expecting her. 

But why?

Finally, they emerged in a cavern so big it could have accommodated ten high schools, sports fields and all. Stark fluorescent lights glowed along the rock ceiling. Conveyor belts wound through the room like water slides, carrying boxes in every direction. Aisles of metal shelves stretched out forever, stacked high with crates of merchandise. Cranes hummed and robotic arms whirred, folding cardboard boxes, packing shipments, and taking things on and off the belts. Some of the shelves were so tall they were only accessible by ladders and catwalks, which ran across the ceiling like theater scaffolding. 

Camilla didn't see many people—a few black-suited security women patrolling the catwalks and some men in orange jumpsuits, like prison uniforms, driving forklifts through the aisles, delivering more pallets of boxes. The men wore iron collars around their necks. 

"You keep slaves?" Hazel asked in outrage. 

"The men?" Kinzie snorted. "They're not slaves. They just know their place. Now, move." 

They walked so far, Camilla felt like her feet were going to fall off. She figured they had to be getting to the end of the warehouse, but then Kinzie opened a large set of double doors and led them into another cavern, just as big as the first. 

"The Underworld isn't this big," Hazel complained. Camilla wasn't sure how true that was, but she didn't know enough about the Underworld to counter. 

Kinzie smiled smugly. "You admire our base of operations? Yes, our distribution system is worldwide. It took many years and most of our fortune to build. Now, finally, we're turning a profit. The mortals don't realize they're funding the Amazon kingdom. Soon, we'll be richer than any mortal nation. Then—when the weak mortals depend on us for everything—the revolution will begin!" 

"What are you going to do?" Frank grumbled. "Cancel free shipping?" 

A guard slammed the hilt of her sword into his gut. Percy tried to help him, but two more guards pushed him back at sword point. 

"You'll learn respect," Kinzie said. "It's males like you who have ruined the mortal world. The only harmonious society is one run by women. We are stronger, wiser—" 

"More humble," Percy said. The guards tried to hit him, but Percy ducked. 

"Quit!" Camilla said. 

Surprisingly, the guards listened. 

"Hylla is going to judge us, right?" Hazel asked. "So take us to her. We're wasting time." 

Kinzie nodded. "Perhaps you're right. We have more important problems. And time... time is definitely an issue." 

"What do you mean?" Camilla asked. 

A guard grunted. "We could take them straight to Ortera. Might win her favor that way." 

"No!" Kinzie snarled. "I'd sooner wear an iron collar and drive a forklift. Hylla is queen."