xiv. migraines also suck

HAZEL GALLOPED INTO the larger cavern and scattered a crowd of males. Percy knocked out an Amazon. Frank swept two more off his feet with his spear. Camilla dug her pugio out of her bag and brandished it, but the boys had things handled at the moment, so she just trailed behind, her mind still spinning. She wondered when it would stop, though she doubted it would be anytime soon.  

Hazel bowled into a patrol of Amazons, who scattered in terror at the sight of Arion. Hazel swung her spatha at everyone who came within reach. No Amazon dared challenge her. 

Camilla, Percy, and Frank ran after her. Finally they reached the chariot. Arion stopped by the yoke, and Percy set to work with the reins and harness. 

"You've done this before?" Frank asked. 

Percy didn't need to answer. His hands flew. In no time the chariot was ready. He jumped aboard and yelled, "Frank, Camilla, come on! Hazel, go!" 

A battle cry went up behind them. A full army of Amazons stormed into the warehouse. Otrera herself stood astride a battle forklift, her silver hair flowing as she swung her mounted crossbow toward the chariot. "Stop them!" she yelled. 

Hazel spurred Arion. They raced across the cavern, weaving around pallets and forklifts. An arrow whizzed by. There was an explosion behind them, but Camilla didn't dare to look back. 

"The stairs!" Frank yelled. "No way this horse can pull a chariot up that many flights of—OH MY GODS!"

Thankfully the stairs were wide enough for the chariot, because Arion didn't even slow down. He shot up the steps with the chariot rattling and groaning. Camilla's knuckles turned white on the sides of the chariot, praying to all the gods she wouldn't fall off. 

Because that would just be the cherry on top of an already terrible day. 

Finally they reached the lobby. Arion crashed through the main doors into the plaza and scattered a bunch of guys in business suits. 

"Ella!" Hazel shouted at the sky. "Where are you? We have to leave!" 

For a horrible second, Camilla was afraid the harpy was too far away to hear them. She might have been lost, or captured by Amazons. 

Behind them a battle forklift clattered up the stairs and roared through the lobby, a mob of Amazons behind it. 

"Surrender!" Otrera screamed. 

The forklift raised its razor sharp tines. 

"Ella!" Camilla cried desperately. 

In a flash of red feathers, Ella landed in the chariot. "Ella is here. Amazons are pointy. Go now." 

"Hold on!" Hazel warned. She leaned forward and said, "Arion, run!" 

The world stretched. Sunlight bent around them. The horse shot away from the Amazons and sped through downtown Seattle. Camilla glanced back and saw a line of smoking pavement where Arion's hooves had touched the ground. He thundered toward the docks, leaping over cars, barreling through intersections.

Camilla's ears popped. She heard a roar, and Arion tore over Puget Sound, seawater turning to steam in his wake as the skyline of Seattle receded behind them. 

Camilla wasn't sure when her migraine started, but by the time the chariot wheels came off, she felt like her skull was splitting open. 

"Camilla, you okay?" Percy asked, shouting to be heard over the wind as Arion raced north. 

Camilla could only groan in response. "Headache," she managed to yell, immediately regretting it as her head throbbed fiercely. She groaned again.