1 | sweet!

The aroma could be detected from just around the block.

Fiddlewhacker's Gumdrop Shop stood right at the corner of the street, boasting a pink-and-white color scheme for the whole town to recognize. With a rather humble sign that featured a glass jar of gumdrops, the candy store made a decent name for itself amongst the residents. Despite working primarily with gumdrops, a variety of candies and goods were made available to customers. Many would come and go on a daily basis just to explore the wares that were offered; both children and adults alike reveled in the vast collection of sweets. Both small name and top game candymakers could find their sweets sold at Fiddlewhacker's, for it was the town's only access to any delectable wonder at all. There would be newcomers, there would be regulars. One thing that remained certain to the town was that a customer never left disappointed.

Employees were few, however, and business was difficult to handle with such a small cast. Fiddlewhacker himself was the manager; he could only hire so many workers that were actually up to the task, after all. It seemed that the overwhelming abundance of candy left many with more cavities than they had started with (some had worn a proud record of "no cavities" on their sleeve before taking the job). It seemed impossible to track down a willing participant who could control their sugar intake.

Enter you- Fiddlewhacker's prized posession. Never had he met a "youngster" (as he called you) with such vigor and passion for candy. You enjoyed every moment spent stocking shelves, checking inventory, and manning the register. Hell, he was almost sure enough to leave the store in your care after his time was up. But you refused to talk about that.

With only two other workers, you all seemed to do an excellent job at keeping the shop spick and span. Apparently, business was booming enough to grab the attention of those outside the town. Wanderers recommended everyone to stop by the Gumdrop Shop- even hitchhikers. It seemed as though everything about the atmosphere you and your coworkers established was enough to intrigue foreigners; you and Fiddlewhacker accepted them with ease. The cast especially hoped that newcomers would consider moving to the town and applying for a position. You all had the chance to grow and expand, and here it was, handed to you on a silver platter. If only the silver platter had been just a little less than an arm's reach away.

What with his arrival, the timing couldn't be better.
_____

The shop door opens, and a familiar little "ding!" reaches your ears.

You look up from where you're sweeping (just by the assorted chocolate bars) to see a rather tall gentleman stride in. He's got a massive black top hat and bug-eyed sunglasses to match. Sporting a- is that real?- bob cut that curved inward just at the jaw, his hair sways with him as he looks swiftly from his left... then to his right... then to you. An unsettling grin grows upon his features to reveal a gorgeous set of pearly whites. Damn, were you envious... but also kinda spooked.

For the brief moment you studied his figure, you took in his rather sharp cheekbones and pale complexion. Tying his look together was an expensive-looking red velvet coat that seemed to be perfectly tailored to his liking. He sure seemed comfy.

"Kiddo, d'you think you could get that customer?" Fiddlewhacker's voice calls out from the back; he's been handling a new shipment of licorice twists. The man looks past you, smile faltering slightly, realizing that he had entered right when you were getting ready to close.

"Oh dear," He looks back at you, a frown finding its way to replace his perfect smile. "Did I come at a bad time?"

You stand your broom up by the nearest corner and dust your hands off excitedly, turning your body to him completely. "Hey, no, no! It's alright! We're always welcome to have a customer, even if it's a minute before closing. How may I help you tonight, sir?"