Our Connected Past

Athena

I don't understand why my heart is feeling the way especially after losing my husband like I did. Although I am 19, I've been married, pregnant, going to be divorced and named CEO of my grandfathers company in one year. Stephen has done the same but I carry one more joy then him. I get to care for my babies. Many see that as a burden to anyone young but they never no the joy that's in arms until it happens. I never thought I'd be in this position, never thought I'd let Stephen take my virginity or a divorced woman at this age. I should be partying with my mates, flirting not waiting impatiently for my twin babies.

My babies due date happened to be February 19, but even then they are still a few days away from Valentine's Day. Stephen's best Valentine's gift to me. It's not like I hate the guy I just wished he would be there for the birth. Do I tell him? If I do, will I get the response I want? Picking up my iPhone I open the pictures folder and first I see our wedding photos. At first I see him happy as if he's in love. It makes me wonder why he married me. No bribes or no contracts from either one our elders. I understood that my grandparents wanted to know I would be looked after if they pass but what made him marry me.

As ponder more and look at these memories I remember a little boy I used to play with my junior years. I think we were about six or seven. We played together until he got called home for dinner. Conveniently that was my call for dinner at my place. We did that for years until the company made us move. Years passed by and when I turned 13, we moved back to our home. I waited outside for my friend but not once did he come out to play. I thought he moved too. Growing up I missed my friend, boboy. He in many ways is my first love.

I wished he is the man I'm married to. We would work together to fix our problems and face challenges. That's what I dream about when I see the ring on my finger. I would wait at our home for him to return from work. Love each other passionately and be happy but I have Stephen and I'm not happy. Even though we were apart I'd hope for us to have a chance at love and family. Now we don't want to be in each others presence.

As I flick through the photos, I smile at our forced love story. I began to fall for that jerk. Walking to my bed I lay and think of Boboy, with ash brown hair and deep blue eyes I imagine him at 13 and think of a dude in my high school. He was a real catch with girls but I too focused with my reading. I would walk around school with my book in my face and walked into many doors. I then imagined him at sixteen and he's into his sports. Soccer mainly (that's what we played as a kid), but still a lady killer. The only face that came to my face is.....no way.....can't be him.......it's Stephen. I slap my cheek, that can't be him I mean, no way. So I married my best friend, I can't have. This isn't real. How did that happen. I toss and turn as I ponder it more and at the same time my babies are kicking me with so much excitement.

All that time I was with my best friend and we didn't know it it hurts. With my iPhone I begin to dial Stephens number, but remembering I blocked his number I stop. Coincidently Mrs Shirley rings me. I can't answer it she probably knows about everything. How could do that to me? I should have been told.

Stephen

"Son there is something you need to know." Father announced. I turned to my father before I headed out the front door. By the expression on his face this is big news. "Please sit down. I don't know how to say this but your marriage wasn't because of the Gracia Company going into bankruptcy, we found your friend you called Nene." I jump from seat. "What! When, how, where is she?" I asked. Mother approached. The thing we found her 3 years ago and your married to her. She is also carrying you babies and is happy." What, she has been with me all this time and I've been trying to look for someone whose always been married to me. Tears began to fall when I think of the way treated her while we were together and for the mistakes I made for her to clean up. Desperate to meet one more time I call her best friend. "Hello, its me Stephen. I need your help."