Episode III

ANAKIN

Anakin and Padmé sat at the head of the ship. It wasn't an impressive vessel and certainly not one of Anakin's customised ships, but it would do the job they needed it to do; make a simple call to the Jedi Council.

"Felt something too, we all did," Master Yoda said. His short hologram flickered to the right of Mace Windu's. They were both standing in the Temple, no doubt, but Anakin couldn't see what room they were in.

"Is Obi-Wan all right?" Anakin asked. He was frustrated by the Jedi Masters lack of movement. Although they said they were worried by the strange disturbance in the Force, they weren't moving to do anything.

"Master Kenobi is capable of looking after himself. I'm sure he is alright." Mace Windu narrowed his eyes. "Continue with your mission. The Council will see that this matter is investigated."

Padmé glanced at Anakin, then looked back to the holograms. "Do you have any idea what could have happened?"

"We will have news soon," Mace said curtly.

"A great worry, this is." Yoda clamped his small hands atop his cane. "Never felt something like this before, have I."

Mace looked Anakin up and down as Padmé tried her best to find out more. The Jedi Master was a stern looking man, tall with dark skin and lips which never seemed to smile. Since joining the Jedi, Anakin had always felt that Mace had taken a strong disliking to him.

"Your mission is to protect the Senator," Mace said when Anakin asked where Obi-Wan had been heading. "Do not attempt to find whatever caused this disturbance."

"Sent a Jedi Knight to Kamino, we have," Yoda added solemnly. "Find Master Kenobi, she will."

"Of course, Masters," Anakin said with a bow. He would have liked to have argued with them further, to know just where this Kamino was and which Jedi had been chosen for the task, but he kept his lips sealed. The Masters would not take kindly to his questioning.

"May the Force be with you," Mace said.

"May the Force be with you," Anakin answered before hitting the button below the hologram and ending the call. He certainly hoped the Force was with whoever was going after Obi-Wan. That disturbance had been unlike anything he had felt before.

But Mace was right - Anakin's mission was to protect Padmé, and he wouldn't like to loose her either. Should he go after Obi-Wan, he may very well end up dragging her into whatever trouble Obi-Wan had stumbled across.

The sun was setting, dropping between the hills in the distance. Anakin stopped on the ramp of the ship to watch it while he waited for Padmé to to leave the ship. Perhaps more so than he, she had been disappointed with what Mace and Yoda had to say.

"So, that's it?" Padmé called. She was standing at the top of the ramp, still in the ship, with her arms folded. "You're just joining to leave Obi-Wan in the hopes this other Jedi will get there in time?"

"I trust the Council," Anakin said. "They know what's best. And Obi-Wan can look after himself."

"Anakin, I don't believe what I'm hearing!" Uncrossing her arms, Padmé threw him a disapproving look.

"My mission is to keep you safe." Anakin sighed and turned to look away. It was hard to argue with her. "Even if we were to try and go after him, we don't know where he is. I've never heard of Kamino."

"Then it's a good thing Master Yoda and I had a talk."

"What did you say?"

Padmé smiled and stepped back, heading to the controls of the ship. "I'll tell you on the way."

"It will be dangerous. The Council won't be pleased if I fail to protect you." Anakin started walking back towards her, his feet working on their own accord.

"Well, you can't protect me if you're not with me. And I'm going to Kamino. I guess you'll just have to come along."

A smile - one that Anakin knew he shouldn't have shared - spread across his face as she sat down at the controls. He slipped into the empty pilots seat beside her and ran his hands over the controls.

"Yes, my lady," he nodded.