We Speak African

I think I kinda sort of addressed this in the "Typical Accents" and "African Culture" if you were keen enough to have deduced that

N/B: If you haven't read those two chapters, I suggest you do it because background is important when it comes to building your character.

But, yes, we don't speak one language. Don't start asking stupid questions like "OMG! Do you speak African?" (lol that's a TikTok meme by the way).

Do I need to clarify any further?

■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■◇■

So, for the ☆WRITING TIP

When you've chosen the country that you want your character to come from, it's best to research the official and national languages spoken in that particular country.

You'll find that most (if not all) African countries speak the language of the people that colonised them. Majority of the countries are either Anglophone (English speaking) or Francophone (French speaking).

For example, if your character is Kenyan (like me, hEh), you'll do your research and find that the British colonised us. Hence our official communication languages are English (and Swahili).

A country like Congo will have the official language as French, but the national languages as Tshibula, Swahili, Lingala and Kikongo.

Also, take note; There's a difference between official languages and national languages in some countries.

But do your research to make sure. Never assume. Assumptions will be the death of you. I'm saying this because some places like Tanzania, Burundi and Togo were colonised by the Germans but they don't have german as the official/national language. It's Namibia which speaks german as one of its many languages.

All countries have ethnic groups in them which speak different languages, but since that might be a lot of work when it comes to researching, just look up the official communication languages of a country to save time.

But I'm not stopping you to dive in deep when it comes to researching ethnic groups. By all means, go ahead. I'm just putting it out there since I've had some writers say it gets confusing when you try honing down on the ethnic and tribal groups.

My DMs are open if you need me to DE-confuse (is that a word?) you. I'm always happy to help.

—Marj  x