12 /| accords & other stupid things

[chapter twelve]

"CAN YOU PLEASE COME TO BREAKFAST TODAY?" Pietro begged, desperation clear in his voice. It'd been a few days since Lagos and she'd hardly left her room. She should've been more careful and they shouldn't have approached Rumlow so publicly.

Savannah buried her face in her pillow. "Leave me be Pietro," she said weakly, her voice muffled. She could always feel the energy radiating off of him but in this moment it was almost unbearable. With her own supply so depleted, she was in need of an extra boost of power. She had been sick for days, her body's response to inorganic energy.

Pietro was quiet for a moment, and under different circumstances she would've thought he'd gone away. "Do you know how hard it was to forgive myself for Sokovia?" He asked.

Savannah lifted her head, her dark eyes boring into blue eyes. "Pietro..." What happened in Sokovia was not his fault, no matter how you told the story.

"I enabled him Savannah, I did." He lowered his eyes. "I thought I could not get past the pain, that I didn't deserve to get past it, but everyday the pain lessens and I am able to forgive myself just a little bit more."

"That wasn't your fault," she whispered, hair falling messily into her face. She wanted to reach out to him but knew better than to do so. Savannah hated herself for wanting this man in ways she shouldn't want him.

He sat at the edge of her bed. "This wasn't yours, or Wanda's."

"It feels like it was." She rolled out of her bed. "Are you gonna just stay there while I get dressed?"

"No, of course not." He paused, his mouth lifting at one corner. "Unless..."

"Pietro," she chastised, with a groan.

He raised his hands in mock surrender and chuckled. "I'm kidding." He'd left, then, in a blink of an eye, ruffling her sheets.

°°°

"Where is your sister," Savannah asked when she met Pietro in the hall. She'd slipped on a pair of dark shades before she'd left her room because her brown eyes had looked off in the mirror. Her hair was pulled back from her face in a low ponytail, the best she could do right now.

Pietro scowled. "Watching the news, against my advisement."

She should probably go see Wanda. Savannah never watched the news if she knew her name was going to be dropped. "What are they saying?"

"They're talking about you two," Pietro said after a moment, probably debating on answering or not. She knew, though, that he wouldn't shelter her from the truth. She nodded at his words but didn't ask any thing more on the subject. "Why are you wearing sunglasses inside?"

"The lights are bright," she muttered, staring at the grey walls they passed which were tinted by her glasses.

He walked ahead and turned toward her. "Do you need more energy? Is that what this is?" She didn't reply, avoiding his eyes. He was a lot taller than her so that wasn't hard to do. He pushed up the sleeve of his black shirt. "Here."

"I'm fine," she insisted. He, however, did not pull back his hand.

He sighed. "Please." They looked at each other for a prolonged moment. He wouldn't be giving up it seemed. With an angry look on her face she took his hand. They'd stopped walking. His energy flooded into her body, and after a few seconds she pulled away. He shook his hand out. "That does not feel pleasant."

She took a deep breath to steady herself and didn't remove her shades. "Sorry, thanks." Savannah moved past him, more grateful than he'd ever know.