Chapter 6: Forks High School

I find myself on the floor of the biology classroom, similar to our own at home—but for a number of minute differences I might never have perceived if I were not a vampire. My senses pick up on differences no human would perceive—the faint whiff of blood in the air, the burnt scent of ash, the stale scent of long-settled dust.

I open my eyes and stand. Underneath the table, the gateway—I'm sure that's what it is now—is still open, pinkish and shimmering even in the gloom, as if there were light coming through from the other side.

With a frown, I turn away. I'm across the classroom and opening the door in seconds, and it doesn't take long, after that, to reach the forest just behind Bella's house. When I see the forest floor, a wave of fear washes through me.

Blood. So much blood. It soaks the overgrown weeds on the forest floor here; I can hear it seeping into the earth far below. And it smells of freesia. Bella's blood.

Blood, but nothing else. Bella isn't here.

Focus. I cannot think of anything but finding her now. I turn in a slow circle, searching for further traces of her scent, and then I catch something—not Bella's scent, but...

Alice's.

Alice.

Hope makes the cold, dead heart in my chest feel as if it is leaping. Alice? Bella was unconscious when the creature dragged her away—surely, if she's not here, it's because Alice found her and took her away.

Unless...

No. Bella must be safe; Alice would not let her be hurt.

I start to follow the scent—but it seems to diverge in two different directions. I follow one until I catch Bella's scent again and know it is the right one after all.

Bella. So Bella must be with Alice, after all. Safe with Alice.

Now all I have to do is find them.