Chapter 5 - Full Dark

Nicky clawed his wayback to consciousness. The first thing he knew was pain, which made him want tolaugh manically, because if he was going to be a damned thing, the least thatcould happen was for the pain to go away. He growled instead as anger flared atthe same moment as the twisted humour. At least this time he felt stronger.

Opening his eyes, the cellar seemed very light, not dimly lit at all. He pushed himself up from where he had slumped sideways onto the floor, looking around.

"Oh fuck," Bryce said, eyes going big and round as the kid backed away.

Nicky looked down at himself, he couldn't see any reason for Bryce's reaction. Then he caught sight of his hands. Lifting one up he turned it over, flexing his fingers. He no longer had nails, he had claws. It sent a cold shot of reality through the fiery anger racing through him. There was no way for him to see any other changes, but he had seen Ruth, he could guess.

"Still not going to eat you," he said, even though it came out with an added growl.

Refusing to let the doubt and pain get to him, he stood up. It was easy, unlike earlier.

"You look ... you look ..." Bryce stuttered.

"Like them," Nicky finished for him.

He was under no illusions.

"It's dark," he added.

He could smell Bryce from where he was standing. He could hear the kid's heartbeat. It made his stomach twist.

"So you ... um ... don't want to eat me?" Bryce asked hesitantly.

Now Nicky did laugh, mostly at himself.

"Oh, I definitely want to," he said, because the urge was right there in the forefront of his brain, "I'm just not going to."

In nearly a millennium a person learned there were things they could lie to themselves about and things they could not. Nicky knew this was one of the latter. At times over his life he had wondered if maybe he was a monster, now he knew. That wasn't going to stop him doing what was right though.

He tried the door again, but even with claws and added strength he couldn't get anything to budge.

Bryce had come out of his corner again by the time Nicky was sure there was no way out and the kid was watching him carefully.

"You don't look like you're half dead anymore," Bryce told him, "just kind of demonic."

Nicky laughed. He'd heard that a few times before, but usually because he was covered in blood and gore and wielding a sword and a gun, not because of claws.

"I feel," was as far as he got before his stomach twisted and all the strength went out of his legs.

He half collapsed, catching himself against the wall.

"Spoke too soon," Bryce said as Nicky groaned.

His instincts were screaming at him and he couldn't help looking over at Bryce. The urge to attack, to satisfy the hunger clawing at his insides was incredible.

"Hungry," he admitted as the weakness passed and he glued together his scattered wits.

He tried the manacles next, but even feeling stronger again, they would not budge.

"They'll be coming soon won't they?" Bryce said after a few minutes silence.

Nicky turned to look at his companion.

"Probably," he agreed, "once they think I have had enough time to feed from you."

"Do we have a more detailed plan than you attack, I run?" Bryce asked.