Chapter 3 The Bargain

Set on the bottom of a mountain, this capital "city'' , if it can be called so, was home to orcs lead by their great chieftain - Haguk The Fearless. The Wolfholde "city'' wasn't built by a mountain by accident, as this mountain had spiritual and ancient relevance, which were of great significance to this race in general, not only to the inhabitants nearby. Itself it looked unexciting with the black wooden rooftops, murky wooden walls and broken roads which contributed to the unlovable atmosphere for external visitors, yet the orcs loved their capital Wolfholde. They were adept hunters, their green skin helped them to conceal themselves in green landscapes and forests and the muscularly built body assisted them in swinging heavy weapons, or they could just strangle their target with bare hands. However, not so marvelous at growing crops, it was not until recent years that they initiated to do this and did so many mistakes that the first harvest which was supposed to feed half the city, in fact, fed only the chieftain and a few more orcs. They were not aware of some facts that are widely known to humans and other races, for example - planting very closely, thus creating too much competition for the nutrients in sunlight, soil and water. Also over-or underwatering, too little water causes plants to dry up and wilt and too much will rot the root system. Haguk The Fearless was admired by all orcs, for his, fearlessness, off course, but also for his wisdom, strength, and the ability to rule as a great chieftain. He received this nickname by always being on the first lines in battles, causing major casualties to foes and receiving almost none. Orcs were also experts in fighting, they trained how to fight and hold swords at the premature age of eight and at fourteen were considered adults, hence hunting and fighting in wars. Their reputation was widely-spread, their fighting skills, their animality character, their ferocity in battle, and it was rumoured on human lands that saliva always dripped from their unclosed mouths. In fact, the last one was not true, saliva did not always drip from their unclosed mouths, it only did so from time to time.
"Chieftain Haguk," a broad-shouldered orc walked in the tent where Haguk was and bowed respectfully to him, waiting for a right to speak. His name was Sugarod, advisor, and closest friend to Haguk. Most orcs envied him for that position and the trust he had earned in the chieftain's eyes.
"Speak your mind Sugarod, my friend." Haguk's tone was mild and friendly for he respected his comrade much.
"A small group of goblins and their leader have came here, they say it's of great importance to have a word with you."
"I see, all right! Invite them in, " Haguk felt eagerness and curiosity. Orcs and goblins didn't get along very well, they've had a couple conflicts before. Soukhar walked in, bowed respectfully, and had ordered his companions to emulate him. As he spoke, his voice was quiet, and his countenance impassive: "Hail to the great chieftain of the orcs, Haguk The Fearless! I'm Soukhar, the leader of the goblins and these are my companions. We've come here to offer a peace treaty with no hinder thoughts."
"I see, yet I'm surprised why all of a sudden you come here with this proffer, " replied Haguk in a flat tone, not offering his guests a place to sit or saluting them with sweet words, skipping right to the point. Soukhar felt wrath internally, but kept his face impassive as his voice, concealing this sentiment: "Oh-damned humans, they've launched a few attacks on us and we have to defend ourselves. First thing, I would ask some good warriors to help me with my task, my goblins don't have much strength, you see, I'd need some orcs just for temporary time, for my task and my protection. Humans might try to locate me, then I'll either be hanged in their city as a decoration or they will shoot an arrow through my throat. I know our relations haven't always been great, but if you help me, you know the saying, feed a crow a morsel, and the crow will bring you a hundred morsels tomorrow. So, off course I will express my gratitude. I know about your convocation, help me get away from this, don't tell them you know me, give them a false trace. Actually, I have even figured it out, I'll tell you what to do if you agree. What do you think, great chieftain of the orcs?"
Haguk tapped his chin with his index and thumb, expressing to be considering this offer. He thought that yes, he made a pact with the humans, but that here is not treason. He will just pretend nothing happened and continue to side with humans. Goblin are goblins, but gold is gold. He could really use some to help his people live better life, after all, lately things have not exactly been going greatly. Anyway, few goblins more or less, what is the difference. He apparently had made his mind already. The goblin chieftain continued: "Yes, I think I see the answer" After saying that, he whispered a couple words to the goblin next to him. He went out and brought in a wooden chest of small size. Itself it was adorned with shiny and exquisite diamonds.
"Creak!"
Soukhar exposed the content of the chest by slowly lifting the cover. Haguk's eyes were glowing. The content was gold, a lot of gold.
"This is my gratitude, and in addition, we will give you more later."
Haguk's lips curved in a grin and he replied: "Fine, we have a deal."

Two nights have passed since Shanyrria Moonwhisperer and her comrades fought the goblins. They were striding forward uninterrupted by anything else, yet.
"How much more until we reach the City of the Seven Crows, " asked Pharom.
"Half a day, I think. This should be Tundra Mole Timberland, and we should reach the first human village even sooner, if I'm right, " replied Belmorn in his typical hoarse voice.
"Princess!"
"What is it, Pharom?"
"What is this conference thing all about?
"I myself don't know, I wouldn't mind telling you otherwise."
"Perhaps, humans want something from us. Yet I can't recall them aiding us in something. They're too selfish, " said Pharom with annoyance. He didn't like humans, no...not at all.
"Yeah, perhaps they do, " replied Shanya, disregarding his attitude about the human race.
After a couple more hours, twilight set in. They had to find a shelter to spend the night. Luckily, they reached the first human village in time. They stopped at the first inn and entered, from outside it appeared rough and horrible. Hard-wooden planks and thick, hard-wooden logs made up most of the building's outer structure. Small stained windows were placed randomly here and there. As they entered through the heavily used, wooden door, they were welcomed by watching eyes and whispers. Three elves in a human inn certainly looked suspicious. The bartender was trying to catch a spider and made no endorsement of their presence. It was as horrible as it looked outside, it was rather dirty, thick fume spread in the air, and not much people actually were in there. Two hooded strangers who spoke quietly in the corner also appeared to be suspicious, and hazardous, as if they were in some kind of a secret organization. The trio walked up to the bartender and questioned him for two rooms to spend the night in.
"Sorry, but I only have one available, " he replied.
"This inn doesn't look like to be so popular and crowded, " Pharom remarked.
"We don't have much rooms, you see, we don't have guests very often, that's why. Especially ones like you."
He lead them upstairs and showed them one a bit filthy chamber, cobwebs in the corners, and a few spiders lurking around.
"DAMN! SPIDERS, " Pharom yelled.
"Oh-those-just tiny buddies. Don't worry. Hee-hee, " the owner laughed.
"I don't like them. Can't you kill them or something, " Pharom queried.
"Yes, yes, off course, I can. Give me a moment."
They settled in and unpacked. There were three beds in the room, one next to the window in upper left set horizontally, one behind the door in the bottom part also horizontally set and the last was set vertically in right, right next to the wall. A portrait of fully-armoured human soldier hung behind the door, where Pharom choose to sleep, or rather where his comrades put him to sleep. All of them were weary and went to sleep. Shanyrria's bed was the one next to the window. She found herself uneasy and unable to fall asleep right away, unlike her other comrades. Something bothered her, unfamiliar feeling that she couldn't describe with any words, something like obscure apprehension, heaviness, taint, all mixed up. The ruby. Is it the reason? Is it heavier than before? Probably not.
"Maybe I'm just too tired, " she thought. Then her thoughts bounced to the goblin assault. She wondered if the ruby was the plain reason for the this assault. Did they know about the ruby? And how?