Chapter 5 Berlisia

The precisely selected group departed shorty after the first sun rays. More than twenty humans, two orcs, three elves, and 7 camels were out on a hunt for a wizard. They had brought a lot of provisions, after all they had about a week to walk to the Icy mountain apex in the Winterlands, and then another week to get back. Because of the harsh path they were unable to ride at the moment. They were travelling north trough the region of Berlisia. Although elves did not like riding animals, the humans made them understand it is necessary. Riding a species of camels. They assured them they do not want to walk on foot in the Winterlands, that would be a suicide. These so called polar camels that they had brought, barely managed to get 7, were extremely huge, taller and broader than a horse, white thick fur, four long legs to help them tread even in places with heavy snow. A horse might struggle to carry 2 people on its back, while polar camels, up to 12 feet in size, weighing as much as 2 horses, could easily carry 3-4 people on its back. Moreover, this species was 3 humped, humps which stored fat, that polar camels used when there was no food. "Griffons of the Winterlands" was their nickname, since Griffons struggled to survive in the cold temperatures and the harsh conditions of the Winterlands.
The group was under the leadership of Cedric Charles for he wanted to participate also. Furthermore king Jorden couldn't refuse his willingness to take over the leadership because of his high position. That would cut him to the quick and their good relations would fall apart, and in such times, this is the last king Jorden would want. Cedric is well-trained soldier and can swing the sword just fine, but he is quick-tempered and that might cost him an arm and a leg one day. Or maybe someone else, who's following his leadership. The first day of the journey was quite ordinary, they weren't in a hurry, although their tread was faster than usually. The night they set up camp fire and Cedric asked "We need night guards for tonight, who's willing to guard us in our sleep?"
Belmorn patted Pharom on the shoulder and with serious tone answered: "I believe, I have found the best night watch out there. Here he stands."
"Make no mistake, that is true," added Shanya. "Best if we are running a sleeping competition, he'll be the first one to fall asleep! And then he'll snore like a bear! Ha-hah-a," continued Shanya laughing. Pharom's face reddened out of humiliation, but he did not reveal it, later he had forgotten about it and exhibited much enthusiasm about killing the wizard that night when everyone had gathered around the camp fire, after all his desire for higher position, maybe a captain of the king's guard, a general or some other position, was strong. Cedric picked 2 random humans to guard. Then, the outwardly dull looking orcs gave a brilliant idea for night amusement, or rather guaranteed nightmares for those who weren't so fond of that idea. Telling scary stories. One of the human soldiers began first, "When I was a kid me and my friends decided to visit a long ago abandoned house. It was said that the owner strangled his wife and walled her somewhere in the house. Then after one year, on the same date, he went missing mysteriously just as his wife had before. Then nobody ever heard from him since. So, we challenged each other to enter in this far-away forsaken grim house and whoever refused was considered a sissy. Eventually it was my turn, and I kid you not, when I entered I heard woman groans coming from upstairs. I went upstairs in the corridor. A window at the end of the corridor opened and the wind started to whistle heavily. Then I heard groans again, but this time closer. And again, and again. Each time they were louder. Then the groan transformed to a low whisper scarcely recognizable. 'Breathe, breathe. I cannot breathe,' the voice whispered. And then BOOM! A hand stretched out of the near wall and tried to seize my arm, but I stepped back. Then I tripped and fell on the ground. The ghost revealed itself and the view of confronting this apparition was horrific, it was transparent, I could see through the apparition. It's head was awry and her long hair was trailing along the ground. I was shocked. I put all my efforts to make my hands move and using them I moved my body backwards when I tumbled on the stairs to the ground floor. That moment my friends came in rushing through the door, probably had heard my screams, and got me out of the house. Then I never came back there."
"Rubbish! Ghosts don't exist," commented another human soldier.
"Believe it or not, that's the truth."
Many more ghostly stories were told that night, some of which sounded even more crazy. At midnight everyone had fallen asleep except the soldiers on guard. Not that it was very likely something to attack them, but still being wary wasn't redundant. Goblins could be lurking around in the dark. Yet no complications occurred, and on the morrow, after a tasty breakfast, the group set off for their destination point. The sun rays shone in their eyes as they trotted uninterrupted.
"Sugarod, what do we do if we encounter goblins," asked Karrhig quietly.
"Let humans take care of them, or pretend to fight with them. Our chief was clear enough, no goblin killing. I hope it won't come to that, though."
"Yeah, me too."
Both heavy-armoured orcs had lagged behind a little for the past twenty minutes to be able to talk freely. Karrhig carried a large steel double-bladed axe on his back that did not seem to be heavy for him. He was the largest figure in this group and it was evident that he was an excellent warrior. His muscled body structure combined with his size and his huge brown eyes, made him look like a predator chasing it's prey in battles. The loss of his parents at a premature age had strengthened his grudge against any foe.
"Hey! You two tired already? Come on, faster!" Cedric shouted imperatively in a strong voice. They said nothing, but sped their pace. Then Cedric resumed talking and answering Shanyrria's questions: "Yes, magicians are rare, difficult to find and most of them are weirdos. At least we got 2 with us, 1 elf and 1 orc. It won't be a problem to kill 1 magician. I've hung 1 before, for criminal deeds, off course. His magic didn't help him. What about the elf realm, do you have a lot of mags there?"
"Not really, I heard you need to have the blood to be one. And most don't."
"HALT! SILENCE!" The leader commanded. "I think I heard something," he continued.
Everyone stopped, he looked around, listened. No sound nor movement. "We have to be careful, both for people and wildlife," the leader shouted. "The wildlife is dangerous n Berlisia, in the Winterlands, where Icy mountains are located, even more dangerous," Cedric warned. Shanya allowed herself a joke "Perhaps as dangerous as the tooth of a saber tooth you're wearing?"
Cedric had worn one as a necklace after he had killed a saber tooth in Berlisia years ago. "Yes, just as dangerous," he accepted the joke and a slight smile appeared across his lips.
"First time I come here though, what kind of wildlife is around us here?" asked Shanya with curiosity.
"Uh, a lot, saber tooths, bears, giant tortoises, tapirs, wolves, rabbits...Berlisia is a vast land."
Meanwhile, one of the human soldiers was talking to another and did not miss a comment after his friend tripped due to his untied shoes, also took in account his slender body size, "Hey Toothpick, who laced your shoes? A drunk squirrel? Ha!"
"I usually have an Assquatch do that for me, but you weren't around."
Laughter rose from the rows of the group. These kind of words might sound offending to someone, but it was nothing like that here. The soldiers were being friendly. Their correspondence was just slightly different from that of other people. And another day passed just like that. At night before they fall asleep they were telling stories or just having casual conversations for a couple hours. And again, they set soldiers on guard and a camp fire to heat them during night time.
It was the third day, the group woke up at first sun rays and continued their journey. Now they could ride the polar camels as the path was broad enough. Their pace was slow, but steady. This region was of tropical rainforest and usually rains a lot, but not today. Two of the human soldiers were brothers, Merion and Dai Powles. Merion was the youngest of all here, only at the age of 19, his brother was older, 23. He spoke to Dai first, "I think I should train for an archer after we get paid for this expedition. I've already mastered the sword, sort of."
"Yeah, no reason not to do it. More drill, more skill," replied his brother.
"10 MINUTES BREAK!" shouted the commander.
"Great, finally gonna piss somewhere. Almost didn't hold," said Merion. Then he went to find a tree nearby, pulled down his pants and felt like the happiest person. Birds could be heard singing, breeze could be heard brushing the leaves of the forest.
"BUZZZ" "BUZZZZ"
"WHAT THE... " "BUZZZ""
"BUZZZ"
"GET AWAY MONSTER"
"BUZZZZ"
In the blink of an eye, a big black bee stung him on his neck and his hand. Merion made a step back to avoid it, tripped and felt on his back. With yellow liquid on his body and shame in his heart, the not so fearless warrior quickly got back on his feet, then returned to the group.
"MERION, WHAT HAPPENED?"
"A DAMN SOMETHING STUNG ME"
"QUICKLY, LIE DOWN," Belmorn's voice intervened.
"IT'S GETTING WORSE, MY NECK...," his voice ceased. He couldn't speak anymore. His neck was seriously swollen, and his right hand. The pain was intolerable. He lost consciousness.