Chapter 19-Press On

"I can't believe this, Nadia... After all we've been through together, Jake has turned against us. I'm not sure how much longer I can keep this up now."

Tess had been on a tangent ever since Jake left the cavern, and only now calmed down and was breathing heavily.

"Their betrayal is the least of our worries right now, Tess. We have to keep pressing forward and stop Team Eclipse." I urged, trying to calm her down. "We'll get them back at the same time too, if they're open to persuasion."

Tess crouched down on the cave ground. "Nadia, you and Jake were the sole reason I left home on this adventure. Jake was such an inspiration to me, and now he's done this. This encounter has hurt me so very deeply. I don't know if I have the courage and energy to keep going now."

"Well, we gotta!" I exclaim. "If we don't, we won't save all of Roria and its inhabitants! What's one or two betrayals if we're putting Roria's existence on the line? We have to continue to Crescent Island, because who else will? And besides, don't you think Jake needs us more now than ever?"

Tess blinked up at me, who had my arms crossed looking at her expectantly. She smiled lopsidedly. 

"Yeah. You're right. We can't give up! I know that he's still good at heart. He's just confused right now, that's all." She gets up, newfound determination in her eyes. "He's always been worried about how physically strong he and his Pokémon are. He still doesn't realize that physical strength is not important. It's the strength to do what's right in the face of adversity that we must cling to. We must not give up. We must help him learn that. Well, are you ready to press forward?"

"Uh-huh. I'm always ready to force myself forward even if there's an unbreakable obstacle." I replied. Tess smiled wider now.

"Good, I'm glad that you are so strong, both mentally and with Pokemon. We can do this. After all, we have something they need and can't move forward without." She points to my necklace. "The key. Your necklace is the missing puzzle piece to unlocking Hoopa. If we can keep it safe and out of their hands, they are stuck, which gives us time to reach their base. We aren't far now from Frostveil. I say we go ahead and make our way there and get prepared for the rest of our journey to Crescent Island. Yeah?"

"That's right." I reply, poking the small brick. "I'll challenge the Frostveil Gym in the meantime too, so I can become stronger."

"Got it. I'll wait at the Route 16 entrance." Tess moves forward, but then stops, suddenly remembering something. "Oh, by the way. Frostveil's gym is Dark-type."

Wait.

"What." 

"Yeah. It's Dark-type."

Huh?!

"All this time I thought it was Ice-type! Wouldn't something like 'Frostveil'-"

"I guess you can't judge a book by its cover, huh." Tess interrupted. "Apparently the Gym Leader chose Frostveil as the gym location because it lets him be closer to the moon, or so they say."

"That's certainly interesting info. Thanks." 

"Great! That's all covered up, so let's go!" Tess and I finally went out of the caves into quite the snowy tundra. The moment we got out was the moment I thought I was going to freeze to death and the moment we spotted Latios and Latias in the distance. 

Fun.

I told Tess about my predicament, and Tess replied she had brought an extra coat and tossed me an orange one. I slipped it on and instantly felt warm again. 

"This is surprisingly fluffy," I commented.

"You would expect that from Anthian City's clothes shop." Tess chuckled. "Alright, race ya!"

She makes a mad dash into the mountains.

"Hey, wait up!" I yelled as I chased after her. "Watch your step!"

We got pretty far racing each other until we got to some wobbly bridges barely connecting each other. The bottom is an abyss where we couldn't even see the end of.

We managed to get past, albeit barely. A couple more yelling and finding random Ice-types everywhere, we managed to get to Frostveil City. 

Everything there was wooden, but the view of the city was amazing, you can almost see something like the Northern Lights in the distance.

"Think we should rest up...?" I panted slightly, having run farther than I normally could.

"Yeah...yeah. We should get to the Center."

We walked over to the Center, which was unfortunately far from the entrance.

That night, Cinderace and Espeon were talking in a corner, while Umbreon interacted with Tess's Garchomp. 

"Route 16 is a popular slope for hoverboarding," Tess explained. "Hero's Hoverboards back in Anthian supplies exactly what it's named for."

"Maybe I'll look into it. For now though, I'm going to rest up." I hop into my bed, staring out the window and watching the snowflakes float down slowly.

"Okay, then. Goodnight."

The room was silent now, so I decided it was time to actually sleep.