Part 15

Warnings: swearing, drinking

Historical Inaccuracies:

• Mary didn't go on tour with Queen in 1975
• On the 14th of November, 1975, Queen did not leave early for the start of the ANATO tour. Indeed, they "had to rush from London to Liverpool" because they had been shooting the music video for 'Bohemian Rhapsody' in the very same afternoon as the day of their first gig on tour!

Word Count: 3.8k

⁺˚*·༓☾ ☽༓・*˚⁺

August, September, and October disappeared in such a whirlwind rush that you hardly noticed them. You didn't have time to notice much these days.

Queen were running thirty-eight-hour sessions at multiple recording studios throughout London, working day and night to record and refine the material for their still unnamed fourth album.

Preparations for a release in late November were in full swing, and Queen's manager Reid was neglecting meetings with Elton John— Elton bloody John, it would never cease to amaze you— to dedicate his time to organising the legs of Queen's next world tour. Locations, bookings, the transport of instruments and equipment and people, lodging, catering, insurance; the list of things to arrange was endless.

Which was why you often played assistant to Reid, in the absence of Reid's actual assistant, some clonker named Paul Prenter who turned up late to meetings and had far too much to say for how few hours he put into going to work. You couldn't be Reid's full-time assistant, however, because you also tagged along with Roy Thomas Baker, Queen's producer, since Freddie had more or less insisted that you do so.

You spent a lot of time with Queen, both in the studio and out of it.

In the studio, Freddie consulted you on album concept, Deacy relied on you for input on the song he was writing about Veronica, and Brian taught you to play ''39'. Hearing you sing along with Brian, Roger decided that you should help with backing vocals on one of Freddie's tracks, and much to everyone's delight, he coaxed you into agreement. You weren't delighted with this arrangement, though; you were far too nervous that you'd ruin the vocals of the others.

Outside of the studio, Freddie continued to harp on about your musical education, as he called it, lending you records until you were listening to his music almost constantly.

"I want you to have memorised my collection, darling," he said one night, swirling his wine, "by the time we set off on tour."

"Um, okay... That's a lot of music, Freddie," you'd swallowed, eyeing the quite frankly enormous record collection that Freddie's living room housed.

"Psh, all in a day's work."

You saw Roger the least out of the four, because when not at Queen's various recording locations, he was... well, he was bedding Heather, to put it politely. He did take you for the occasional drink and a banter, though. You found that you and he shared a lot of similarities in terms of childhood and upbringing, and this made Roger more brotherly to you than ever.

When he had the time, John would join Roger and you for drinks at the local pub, and the three of you would spend far too long chatting away into the evening. But mostly, Deacy and Ronnie were knackered from their parenting of Robert, and when you could see it all beginning to take a toll on John— he went from the studio to caring for his son and did not sleep in between— you offered yourself as a babysitting service. Deacy and Veronica were immensely grateful for this, because Robert seemed to like you, Auntie Y/N, and though the child could scream bloody murder if he so wished, he was generally a good kid. It was enjoyable to see him learning the ways of the world around him, from lights and colours, to the sounds of his parents' voices.