One

BACK TO THE BEGINNING

━━━━━━━━━

ALMOST EVERYONE KNOWS everyone in this district which makes it difficult for an intruder to blend in. Take me for example. I'm an intruder, except, only I know that. No one else knows that I am not the person they take me for.

While everyone else thinks I am Kirah Curtis―the daughter of Hadie Curtis and General Masgardo Curtis, the truth is, I am not Kirah.

"Kirah!" 

But when people call for her name, I respond. Because as crazy as it may seem, my soul had somehow gone beyond the laws of physics, entering a body that's not mine. In short, I am in Kirah's body, making her me at the moment.

I turned and saw Heath walking towards me. "Yes, Heath?"

Heath gave me a warm smile. "How are you coping up?"

I shrugged. "Fine, I guess."

He looked a bit hesitant but, in the end, he decided to continue. "Have―Have your memories returned yet?" 

I pressed my lips into a thin line.

Two months ago, I woke up with no memory whatsoever. I couldn't recall anything except that I was looking for my sister. To add fuel to the fire, when I woke up, I wasn't in my house or anywhere familiar. Instead, I found myself lying down in the middle of the woods. 

I also noticed that my body was thinner, my hair was shorter, and, somehow, the shape of my face also felt different. Even my voice sounded different.

But instead of delving into it, I decided to shrug it off. Naisip ko na baka may ginawa ako'ng kalokohan―tulad nang pag-gupit ng sarili kong buhok―bago pa mawala ang mga ala-ala ko kaya hindi ko maalala kung bakit umigsi ang buhok ko, pati na rin kung paano ako napunta sa kakahuyan.

Sa loob nang isang buwan, nanirahan ako sa kakahuyan. Not because I wanted to but because I couldn't find my way out. Paikot-ikot lang ako roon na para bang nawawalang bata―which was true. Because I really was lost. 

The animals living in the forest had been my food while the wood I could find served as my heater whenever it would get cold in the night. Hunting isn't easy but I managed my way through it since I lived in District 3. And in the third district, life's never easy; I learned how to fight against and protect from. 

One day, whilst walking through the forest, a flash of light blinded me. When I realized that the light was coming from outside the forest, I couldn't be more thankful.

But what happened next was something I never expected to happen.

I discovered I wasn't in my body but someone else's. And that that must be the reason why I felt different. Because I wasn't in my body all along.