chapter 30 - operazioni ostacolate & spie sfortunate

Trieste was absolutely stunning. It was the sort of city that looked like it was preserved in time and it wasn't hard to imagine people walking these exact same streets a thousand years ago, exactly as they were now. Piper was absolutely captivated by the gorgeous architecture, thrown into relief by the light of the moon and highlighted by the old-fashioned street lamps that dotted along the road. She knew that not far from where they were driving was the coast, looking out over the sea. She imagined that in the light, it was an absolutely stunning city but even in the late light of early night, she was astounded by all the sights around her from the grand buildings to the little side streets, cramped tight with buildings that looked older than time itself. Piper suspected it was the most beautiful city she had ever seen.

And yet, Harry was staring at her, letting the gorgeous view pass him by.

"Do you mind?" Piper snapped over at him. He came back to his senses slowly, blinking and scrunching his face up like he'd been lost in a daze. When he realized Piper was cross with him, he gave her an innocent smile. The second those dimples appeared, she lost her will entirely. With a sigh, she sank against him in the back of the cab.

"Sorry, petal," Harry murmured as he slotted his arm around her and held her close. "I'm just a little thrown by the hair."

He plucked up a strand of it and began twisting it carefully around his finger, studying the new brown hue that coloured her locks. She had planned to follow Lou's advice and dye it once they were checked into the hotel but Harry had mentioned that it might be weird to check in with red hair and leave without so they'd decided it was best she did it before they left the airport outside of Trieste. While Harry had disappeared to collect weapons from their supplier here in the city, Piper had been bent over the sink in a deserted bathroom in the airport's basement, doing as best of a dye job as she could.

"You don't like it?" she asked him, craning her head up so she could see him properly. He was frowning at the crown of her head but shot his gaze down when she moved.

"I miss your red hair already. It feels like as much a part of you as your personality or your brain. In my head, red hair and Piper just go together."

"Oh," Piper muttered, scrambling to try and catch her breath as her heart fluttered in her chest. He'd once told her that her fiery spirit was embodied in her hair colour. She loved the fact that red hair was so quintessentially Piper in his mind that he'd never look at another redhead in the same way.

"Not that I don't like it," he rushed to say. "I think you'd look beautiful with no hair at all, it's just... not you."

"Maybe that's a good thing. I am supposed to be playing a part, after all. It'll help me get into character."

That managed to put a smile back on Harry's face and he nodded as that familiar fond grin stretched across his face. "I guess you're right. You can be anyone you want as a brunette. You can toss off the old Piper for a bit and be someone entirely new." He leaned down to press a delicate kiss to the top of her head. "Just don't change too much. I happen to like you just the way you are. Even if you are the worst person to fly with."

The flight had not gone well at all. While it wasn't really her fault that her fear of flying had brought on a panic attack, she should probably have given Harry some warning before the plane was already taxiing down the runway. The only thing that had stopped her from completely losing it was Harry pulling her into his lap and holding her for the entire flight.

"I really am sorry for being such a pain."

"No," Harry insisted, his voice gentle as he shuffled, forcing her to tilt her head up toward him. His expression was soft and understanding. "I didn't mean it that way. You know that I'm always here for you if you need me. I'll always have your back."