Ten - An Interwoven Mystery

"I told Ransom about our dad's affair." Blanc hummed curiously in response to Flora's comment on their way home.  "He wasn't surprised."

"Not at all?'

"No. Which makes me wonder how long he's known and that he didn't say anything. I mean, what would that achieve? Our family living together as we always have as though the affair wasn't happening? You saw what happened before the will reading - Ransom's not exactly a peacemaker within the family."

"Your brother may have already known, but perhaps he thought it best to protect you from the knowledge of your father's infidelity, like Harlan and Marta."

"Maybe." But this had her wondering if Ransom really cared all that much.  "So now what?" They had arrived back at the house. 

"Go rest, Ms. Drysdale. We'll re-examine this in the morning - hopefully all with clearer heads."

She was about to leave, but paused.  "My family was really upset, as you saw.  And we're investigating a potential murder - I don't want to jump to conclusions, but, but-" She didn't know how to word it.  "-You don't think anyone will go after Marta and hurt her, do you? I mean, this whole will reveal seems to have blown everything up even further than it already was."

Blanc nodded in understanding, seeming to understand her worries perfectly, unlike anyone else could, and for that she was very appreciative.  "We will make sure Miss Cabrera is just fine, I promise you that."

"Thank you."

"Of course. Now you go rest."

-----------------------------------------------

"Alan, God bless you, you're useless," Richard told the lawyer who shrugged and got to his feet.

"Thank you."

However, 'rest' was not on anyone else's minds, except for perhaps Alan and his assistant, who looked absolutely exhausted. 

"Flora, where have you been?" demanded Linda as though she was a teenager out past curfew and not a grown woman as she and Blanc entered the library where everyone was gathered, still disputing the will.  "This is important family business and you just run off."

Ransom just ran off, is what she wanted to say, but held her tongue. "I needed some space."

"It's our money!" her father was practically yelling.

"Well, now it's Ms. Cabrera's money," said Alan. 

"You needed some space, but with the detective," said Meg softly to Flora.  "What were you two up to?" 

"Just clearing our heads," was all Flora said. 

The family was back to raised voices all talking over one another. Flora hung back. 

"Excuse me, Florence Drysdale?"

"Yes?" She turned to see Alan the lawyer standing behind her.  

"Uh, there was another part of the will addressed only to you - I just found it, but it's probably good I didn't read it aloud."

"Oh, why? Is it something bad?"

"Hmm? Oh, no, it's just addressed only to you."

"Oh.  I see." Way to scare me. "What does it say?"

"Come with me." He led her out of the library where the family was still arguing with one another over what should be done.

"But wait, I thought he left everything-" Literally everything "-to Marta," Flora said once they were out in the hall.