2- KitTy - bad with words

Kit sat uncomfortably, slumped over on the couch in the living room of Cirenworth house. The dim evening light filtered through the curtains in rays of gold and blue, casting him in dramatic shadows. His pale blue eyes danced uneasily, unable to focus.
Across the room on the other couch sat Ty, fiddling with the bronze centurion pin on his lapel. Kit couldn't meet his gaze, but chanced a few glances on his direction. He was even more beautiful than he had been three years ago; his features now sharper, more defined. His hair was longer, still impossibly dark, and curling slightly around his ears. Kit smiled, because the one thing that hadn't changed were Ty's eyes - silver with flecks of black, wide pupils that darted about and ringed in a fan of dark lashes. Kit had thought it the first time he'd seen him, and again he thought How beautiful.

"Excuse me?" Ty said. He didn't look at at him, he just fixed his eyes at a spot above Kit's left shoulder. He had always done that, never enjoying eye contact, but now it seemed less for Ty's benefit and more a conscious act of coldness. "Sorry?" Kit asked, confused. "You said something. You said 'How beautiful'. What did you mean?" Ty said. It wasn't accusatory, it was a statement. An observation. Never the less, Kit panicked. "Um- well- nothing really. I was just thinking. I didn't mean to say that out loud. Forget about it." He said quickly, sounding perhaps a little bit harsh. Ty dropped his gaze to the floor once again, and panic spiralled in Kit. It had been so long since they had seen each other that he had forgotten how careful he should be not to hurt his feelings. "I only mean- it isn't important. I was being silly. I didn't mean to be blunt. Sorry."

"It doesn't matter. Can we just- not talk... until Tessa gets back can we just not talk?" Ty asked, sounding stressed. He moved his hand to grip the couch cushion, his already pale skin turning white at the knuckles. "Yeah, okay. If that would make you more comfortable. Sorry." Kit answerd quickly. Ty nodded. Tessa had left the room a while ago to search the library for the book Ty had asked for. He was in Devon on a mission from the Scholomance, and Cirenworth had the best library for miles around. It was the only place within driving distance Ty could find the book he needed. Kit was sure that if there was another way, Ty would have done that. He was sure that Ty would rather have done anything than come here. He was sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he must have hated him so much that going there, where he knew kit would be, was a last resort. That was also likely why Ty couldn't look at him, or sit on the same couch, or even say his name. Tears pricked at Kit's eyes, and he swallowed hard to push them away. Or maybe, Kit thought to himself, maybe he's just indifferent. Like he was before. You didn't mean anything to him. He said so. Ty never lies.

The click of Tessa's shoes on the wooden floor broke Kit out of his thoughts, and he looked up with a plastered on smile to see his Mum, an old, leather bound book in one arm and his kid sister in the other. "Min-mins!" Kit cried, reaching out to take Mina from Tessa and sit her in his own lap. She giggled, and said a gargled "Kit-kat!" As she cuddled into her brother and then crawled of the couch to sit on the floor.

"Here you go Tiberius. It's the right edition. Is there anything else we can do for you?" Tessa said with a polite smile. Kit could tell that his Mum sensed some kind of tension between him and Ty, so he suspected she was trying to stay positive and not make things awkward. "No," Ty said "thank you. This is exactly what I needed. I should get going." He rose from the couch and smoothed out his gear jacket. "Oh do stay for tea, Ty. We're having pasta." Tessa smiled again, full of kindness. Kit's heart raced. A part of him wanted Ty to leave, for this awkwardness to be over, but the rest of him was begging Raziel that Ty would decide to stay. He hadn't seen Ty in three years, and it had been agony. He was terrified that if he let Ty walk out the door now, he may never see him again. "I would, but I have to read this whole thing by the morning. It'll take hours. Thank you for the offer." Ty was clearly uncomfortable, pulling on the wires of his headphones.