Chapter 1

Protagonist: Nikki
Nikki's POV
I was part of a pack, Aldith Pack, and a week from today, I will be setting my life down to rightfully claim my position in this pack. A week from today, I will be chosen from a he-wolf, and if fate decides, we will be mates. My mother is enthusiastic with the idea of having another male part of the family, and my mate of course, but I was not.

"It's crazy for me to settle down with someone whom I've never met before."

I sighed, tapping my pencil on my homework sheet in front of me, my mother was standing near the corner of the room, picking few clothes here and there to launder. 

"We had this conversation Nikki, these are familiar faces, people you see on the street everyday, most of them are probably attending your high school. Plus you can interact with them in the formal gala held by the Alpha."
Mom sounded irritated, I may have exhausted this topic, we talked about it often. I was trying to make her understand how hard this was for me, I strongly disliked the position I was in, being 18 was not easy.

Mom must have sensed my depression from across the room, I heard her footsteps walk over to my study desk, she kneeled down besides me, and turned my chair towards her. I could see the bags under eyes as she closed her eyes momentarily in silence, "I'm sorry," she mumbled, "I understand how difficult this is for you, considering the unfortunate past we lived in." 

I turned my face away from her in embarrassment, shame clouding over my eyes. 

"Hey", she forced a smile, gentle hands caressed my cheek to turn her direction towards her again, "We're going to be alright, your a bright, smart girl, someone out there is the one for you." 

"I don't want anyone, I want finish high school, get my diploma, I want my degree, I want a job so we can get a nice house somewhere deep in the forest, and just live in peace." I sighed happily, daydreaming the 2-story, white painted house hidden beautifully by massive oak trees.

My mom stood up, tucking my hair behind the ear, "That's not a dream, that a goal, we will one day." I smiled.

"Finish your homework quickly, didn't you say you were going to meet Kayla?" She raised her eyebrow, Kayla was a good friend of mine whom I promised to meet at the bonfire tonight, I nodded, "I'm almost done," I started scribbling down the last of my English homework, my mother left the room. 

Once she was gone, I held my pencil tightly, the edges of my knuckles turning white, tears threatening to leave my eyes, I tried so hard to stop it I was shaking. Take deep breathes, I thought to myself, slowly I exhaled and inhaled, sharp breathes now becoming slow as I regained control over my emotions. It was so bad I could never burden my mother with the trouble, forget therapy, way above our income. I learned to suppress my emotions over meditation videos on the internet, I reached to the conclusion that these repetitive memories of my past has now developed into trauma. I hid my face, laying on my desk, mentally exhausted, slowly I began to recover. I decided I had to get out of the house now to meet my friend or else I'll be late, I grabbed my hoodie, it was chilly night, and the school decided to throw. bonfire.

The walk to school was 15 minutes if I hurried, so I didn't take any sort of transportation, it was a silent walk, I could crickets chirping, deciding to drown out the silence with music, I slid my headphones over my head, slightly nodding to the beat, lazily walking in my sweats, hands stuffed in the pockets of my hoodie.

Taking a sharp right into a more isolated road, I decided I should walk more quickly, but the sudden glowing of little fireflies seemed to put out the little anxiety I had walking alone.

However the little peace I had to myself was replaced with sudden headlights behind me that I did not notice, by the time the light reflected my shadow, I turned to the car almost hitting me, it was inches away from my foot.