Chapter 2

Narrator's POV

*The day before the Formal Gala*

The formal Gala was responsible for matching many pairs, thus it's continuation annually, however if there are women and men who were unsuccessful in getting paired, they would hopefully try next year.

The Formal Gala was only the gate that finally concludes the end of dating and begins the lives of being mates, he-wolves and she-wolves were the key, these folks knew each other from highschool, on the streets, to growing up together, if there is certain potential in the relationship, they may tie their commitment to each other at the Formal Gala.

It was 6:50 am in the morning when the alarm in Nikki's room rang, abruptly woken up from her sleep, she emitted a groan, stretching her limbs before pushing the the wake bar on her alarm. Getting out of bed, she headed towards the bathroom. Her mother Mary, came into the room with a knock, "Nikki, today's a half day, remember to get out of school as quick as possible so we can shop for a evening gown." 

The thought of the Gala made the girl roll her eyes, she focused on brushing her teeth, it was too early in the morning for her to think about this. "Did you hear me", her mother shouted once more.

"I got it mom, now can you please leave so I can get dressed", with an agitated tone, she waited for her mother's footsteps to leave the room.

Walking towards her wardrobe, she pick a simple grey sweater to go with black jeans, leaving her hair up in a ponytail. It had been a couple of days since her encounter with the leader of Aldith pack, she has not forgotten any detail of that incident, certain times at night, it plays in her head.

And it's what made her slightly nervous to attend the formal, it was funded by Alpha for girls and guys between the ages 18-30, however he never made a show once during any annual formals, it simply for the kids and adults whom hadn't paired yet. Nikki came to a quick conclusion that the Alpha showed no interest in having a mate yet, and even though he's never shown up once, Nikki still had this unsettling nerve that he was to be present, even though there's no chance of him coming. 

Nikki made the theory sound ridiculous, there was no possible way she could meet the Alpha at such a public formal which will do nothing but waste his time.

She reassured herself nothing would happen. She planned to show up, be social, but that's it, she could try to meet a guy next year or the year after that, there was no way she could tell her mother that, and after all, Mary didn't need to know. But overall, she prioritized what she wanted, and it wasn't a guy, it wasn't a mate.

*10:30 AM*

Nikki walked down the halls of Aldith High, drained of any emotion, she had stayed up quite late the night before, finishing the last of her studies, last period she finished her math test. There was one more period to go, like a zombie, she walked towards her locker, opening the door and grabbing her history textbook. 

The dull buzz in her head ended abruptly when a couple of papers slammed down on the locker next to her, jolted by the sudden sound, Nikki turned around to find two she-wolves, Meredith and Nora.

Meredith, at the beginning of senior year was Nikki's only friend, however as months passed by, the pressures of being a socialite in highschool got to Meredith, and soon Nikki was placed in her outer circle of her social contacts. 

"Good morning Nikki", Meredith smiled, Nikki readjusted her schoolbag, forcing a small smile back, "Good morning". 

"Are you excited for the Formal tomorrow?" Meredith asked, the constant smacking of her gum making Nikki twitchy, "I guess". She replied in small talk.