𝖎𝖛. Roger Rabbit

CHAPTER 04:ROGER RABBIT

CHAPTER 04:
ROGER RABBIT

🐇

     Taina wasn't sure how Dolores endured lewd comments like this all day from male patrons who didn't respect boundaries. But being hit on by a toon baby was a new one for Taina. She wasn't going to degrade the man because he was a baby, but what she was going to do was get up and leave. Baby Herman's little legs were going to have to do triple time to keep up with her. Luckily, he hadn't gotten the bright idea to follow her.

     Taina quickly scurried herself across the street and into the apartment building, climbing the flight of stairs, and then briefly doubling over from just going up two flights, clearly out of breath.

     "I need to exercise more," huffed Taina.

      Taina hadn't bothered fumbling around for her keys, Eddie was likely to keep the door open whether he forgot to lock it or just didn't care that much. As her hand reached for the door, screams sounded on the other side of the door. Taina was barely going to bat a lash at it, thinking it was just her uncle overreacting about something again, but there had also been a high-pitched scream. Taina calmly opens the door to reveal her disheveled and fuming uncle and Maroon Cartoons star, now murder suspect Roger Rabbit, standing in their apartment.

     "What's going on?" asked Taina. As much as this whole ordeal didn't involve her, she was too invested—and too nosey—for her own good. This case was just like those murder mysteries she would read in high school, except this was a real case, and the potential murderer was in her apartment.

     "I needed a place to hide," said Roger, while Eddie glared at him. "I'm in trouble, and I need your uncle's help!"

     "So, I hear," snarled Eddie. "I'm not helping, and neither is she! Even talkin' to you could get us a rap for aiding and abetting."

     Taina didn't want that. So maybe keeping her mouth shut for once might do her some good.

     "Don't worry, Eddie, no one knows I'm here," assured Roger.

     Eddie found that hard to believe. It wasn't everyday he had toons breaking into his apartment for help anymore. "Oh, yeah? Then how'd you find my house?"

     "Well, I asked the newsboy on the corner. He didn't know. Then I asked a janitor, the fireman and finally the greengrocer down the way. He was very helpful," explained Roger without a thought. Taina blankly stared at the rabbit. He really ran his mouth to the whole block, not even worried about the police, or Toon Patrol, catching him in the process, practically leaving a bread trail once they sniffed it out and found him at their residence. She has met plenty of idiotic people who lack self-awareness, but this was a new level.

     "In other words, the whole goddam world knows you're here!" yelled Eddie. "Out! Get out!" Eddie tries to open the door, but Roger blocks it, spreading himself out like a spider, arms and legs extended.