New Year's Eve

It was New Year's Eve. Victor just got home from a last minute overseas business trip. He hadn't heard from the girl since Christmas. Not a call or a text. Not even a goofy post on her social media. He was getting worried. When he was just about to put aside his pride and call her, his phone started vibrating.

'So you are still alive.'

'Are you back yet?' She sounded tired.

'What do you want this time?'

'Uhm... I'm not feeling too well...'

'Are you sick?'

'No, nothing serious, just a little migraine. I'm out of pain killers and I wanted to ask if you could get me some?'

He was at her place in thirty minutes. The apartment was dark and the girl was lying on her couch in a curled up position. She seemed to be asleep but her brows were taut and she was clenching her fists.

'Hey!' Victor crouched down to her.

She whimpered and slowly opened her eyes.

'You came!' She smiled at him.

'I've been knocking and calling you for minutes. Why do you have a phone in the first place? Also, it took me two seconds to find the spare key. Anybody could come in and you wouldn't even wake up. You...'

She reached out and touched his face. 'I'm not dreaming. It's really you.'

Her touch caught him by surprise. Her fingertips were unusually warm. He just stared at her for a moment with confusion then he laid his palm on her forehead and knitted his brows.

'This is not just a little migraine. You're running a fever.'

'Am I?'

'How long has this been going on?'

She just kept smiling at him and gently combed her fingers through his hair.

'What are you doing?' Victor was baffled.

'You came.' She repeated herself, still smiling.

'I can't believe how stupid you are sometimes. I'm taking you to the hospital.'

'Nooo! Anything but that... Please!' She pouted.

He sighed and slipped out of his coat.

'From now on, you are doing exactly as I say. Got it?'

'Yes, sir!'

Things took a turn for the worse quickly. Her headache was getting worse, she felt nauseated and she was fading in and out of consciousness. He didn't let it show but he was scared.

'Why didn't you call me sooner, you idiot?' He grumbled and helped her drink some water.

'Hehe, you are worried about me.' She giggled.

She curled up, shivering and whimpering in great pain. Victor couldn't take it anymore. He called a doctor. He was advised to give her a warm bath and try cold compresses. He prepared the bath for her and walked her to the bathroom because her legs buckled after taking just a few steps.

'Are you willing to accept my help now?'

'Fine. But you can't look.' She cast her eyes down shyly.

'I won't look. Not that you have anything I haven't seen before.' He scoffed.

He took off her hoodie first.

'This is not how I imagined being undressed by you.' She mumbled.

'Trust me, me neither.'