𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄

ᴛʜᴀᴛɢɪʀʟᴋᴇʟꜱ ᴘʀᴇꜱᴇɴᴛꜱ...

     Grey skies surrounded the mansion with translucent droplets thumping against the rooftop

     Grey skies surrounded the mansion with translucent droplets thumping against the rooftop. If it weren't for the dimly lit television and kitchen light, the house would be completely dark, almost haunted-like.

Small pellets of water gently, almost inaudibly, knocked on the nearby open window, setting the tone for the rest of the day—gloomy.

Mikel, affectionately known as Kel, stood half-naked adjacent from the newly bought couch, his focus captured by the news celebrating the life and legacy of his late father. Today was a big day for everyone who loved Michael Jackson, it was judgment day.

His mother, Kendra, internally overwhelmed with emotions, unconsciously ironed his shirt roughly.

The sound of the toaster dragged her from her thoughts, reminding her to tell her son to eat. "Kel, your clothes are almost ready. Come eat breakfast baby," she reprimanded softly.

Kel turned his eyes from the screen and followed his mom's command.

For a second, he paused and took a good look at his mom, noticing her changes. He couldn't recall her skipping a meal yet she looked thinner than usual. Ever since his father's passing, her face stayed stoic; showing no emotion. Everything she did seemed forced. Deciding to voice his concern he asked:

"Ma, are you okay?" The words slipped from his tongue without second thought.
He groaned inwardly, feeling silly to ask such a question.

Of course she wasn't okay. Her husband died. He internally scolded himself.

Judging from the lack of response, Mikel figured maybe she didn't hear him so he recommended her to show some sort of emotion by crying. He hated when his mom was sad but, this was a situation he felt it was appropriate to do so.

Trying her best to mask her frustration, Kendra told her son she was alright so he could leave her alone. Michael's death affected her in more ways than one. It's almost as if his death forced a switch to turn off her emotions. The most trivial thing led to annoyance. It wasn't personal to anybody, especially her son, however because Kel was always around, he ended up bearing the short end of the stick.

Mikel admired his mom. She was his superwoman, the only person he felt truly cared about him. Although, him and his father butted heads a lot, his death took a toll on him as well.  But, lately he noticed the impatience radiating from his beloved mother, which scared the hell outta him. As far as he could remember, she was always on his side. Now, he began to feel as if he was a burden to her and unfortunately felt he was losing yet another parent.

There were times when Mikel put his parents through hell but it was because he desperately needed attention and didn't have the maturity to talk to anybody. He felt like his dad was too busy being Michael Jackson and that people were too occupied trying to get close to his dad that nobody cared about him. Then, Kendra came along and cared for him as if he was her own.