𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐋𝐄

Twenty ninth of August, 1993

     After Kendra told the rest of his family she didn't mind their input when it came to Michael's birthday arrangements, her mother-in-law gave her the rundown of what everybody proposed. She somewhat listened to what Katherine was explaining as she had other things to worry about: i.e her plan.

Just the idea of it made her throat run dry. It was unusual, Kendra didn't want to concentrate on her mission so she wouldn't coax herself out of it, however, that was hard not to think about. It determined her fate.

"How does that sound, honey?" Katherine finished. 

"It sounds good, mom," she fibbed, knowing she didn't listen to a word.

"I'm sure Michael would be smiling down at us," the phrase left a nasty taste the moment it was spoken.

Kendra sighed as she hung the white corded phone up.  In her mind, because of her decision, time didn't permit reevaluation, the days flying by virtually daring her to stand by her words. The fear of taking her own life crept up on her.  But, she knew it'd be easier dead than living in a remorseful state.

For the past few days, Mikel found solace in staying with his grandmother. He had feelings of his own and with his mom being wishy-washy—one moment asking him to be close, the next pushing him away—he was exhausted.

The night before his father's celebration, his grandmother suggested going back home and spending some much-needed quality time with Kendra.

Mikel woke up in a reasonably positive mood. He convinced himself he must remain strong for all the women in his life, therefore, he intended on not crying and being emotionally distant.

His father's casualty was burdensome on him; Kel had regrets he battled with confronting, but the truth of the matter was, he wished he would've forgiven his father while he had the opportunity and wasn't so hard on him.

"Kel, we leave in about an hour!" He heard his mom call. He hollered an alright before getting himself ready.

Meanwhile, Kendra sauntered into her room and was instantly greeted by the gold Urn with red accents lounging on top of the mantle. She sighed, walking to her closet, and tried picking an outfit for today's event.

Her arms spread the many designer clothing with force. She surveyed through some feasible pieces before her eyes settled on the dress... Kendra's heart rushed upon noticing it, it stirring a flame thick in her core.

Within a flash, Kendra sifted through the clothes, most falling off the hangers, piling on the closet floor. She collapsed on the ground in the fetal position, her back arched uncomfortably to rest her head on her knees, and bawled her eyes out.

A few minutes later, she stopped and pulled herself together because she was running out of time. Looking up from the ground, she sniffled, then yanked the first dress she saw was blue.